Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yay for weird electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Default yay for weird electrical issues

I am not new to Audi or German cars in general. However, recently, my 1999 A6 Avant likes to open and close the driver's window by itself. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, my car has all the necessary maintenance performed and I noticed that during tight turns the Quattro system seems a bit loud. I take this to be normal?

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Funny you mention weird electrical glitches. Today I hit the 'one touch' for all 4 windows and when they finished rolling down, the interior lights flashed on for a second and then went out. Hmmm.

As for the noisy quattro, I have read that changing the differential fluid helps w/ that. I know Audi rates it as "lifetime", but I don't trust ANY fluid for the life of my car - especially one w/ parts as expensive as this one. I just changed mine and I think it's quieter - could just be in my head though. The center and rear aren't hard - I actually haven't done the front yet - that looks like a real PITA.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Site Moderator

Use a small flat head screwdriver and pop up your master window switch. Disconnect the connector and look for any corrosion on the pins. If there isn't any corrosion you most likely need a new master window switch. You should also invest in a vag com www.ross-tech.com so you can check the fault codes in the comfort control module.
If the quattro system sounds loud at turns check at the rear of the transmission where the propshaft connects to it, if it looks like there is oil leaking from there you need a prop shaft seal.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

Pull the switch out and see if you have any moisture in the switch. I had a similar issue on the driverside rear window, and had water in there for some reason. Dried it out and it worked fine. Although I hear the driver side switch tends to go bad...

As for the turning noise, some noise during tight turn, as in u-turn is normal. Otherwise, check the CV boots to see if any of them are cracked.