General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What is this and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear
Default What is this and what does it do?

I was taking a look under the hood today and this part seems rather corroded. What does this do? This is my first time trying to show a photo, so hopefully it is okay. It is the little plastic piece in between two hoses on the upper half of the picture. Also, is an oval shaped object supposed to be located under this part?

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P7200169.jpg

Secondly, is this my MAF?:

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P7200168.jpg

If so, to clean it, I just remove both hoses and unplug the wire harness? Then spray CRC MAF cleaner and let dry for a day or two.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What is this and what does it do?

Close the hood & step away from the car!

Are you talking about your turbo? It's the big thing in-between your engine & airbox, that is rusted. Your description is kind of vague.

In the second pic, that is most defiantly NOT a MAF. It looks like some sort of solenoid.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

haha.....yea, I'm pretty much useless when it comes to this kind of stuff! True, the first picture is horrible....I'll try to get take a better picture, or ask the 'computer literate wife' to see if she can flag it somehow. Actually, the engine is fairly clean, its just a layer of dust on the turbo (funny enough, I can actually identify that!)

Thanks again for the reply 2kS4,luckilly, I know not to jack with stuff when I know I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I've done a search for MAF cleaning info, but was unable to find sufficient, detailed info.
I'll try to pull my head out of my ***, and find some other resources before I start pointing fingers at random sh-- .

Old 07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

ROFLOL!! ^^^ Best reply ever!

Cool! As long as you are aware of your limitations, you should be fine.

Why do you want to clean the MAF?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Site Moderator

Ha ha, that was a good reply, the solenoid in the second photo is the N80 valve for the evap emmisions system. That valve if malfunctioning will generate a check engine light for it.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

I was interested in cleaning the MAF because I've been getting some misfires withno check engine lights and at times my rpm's will drop at idle......I've got 73k miles on the clock, so just thought it could use it- Heck, from reading other posts, I figured even I could accomplish that task....but in my case, maybe not!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Thanks auditech79, now I can identify two components in the engine....[sm=happy046.gif]