General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wheel Bearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheel Bearing Question

Okay, so I replaced the wheel bearing on my 99 A4 1.8 Quattro, about a year ago. The wheel in question is the right rear. I do know the wheel bearing has gone bad (unfortunately at this point thats about all I know), and will most likely do the majority of the work myself as I have done in the past. However, I attribute this ongoing bearing issue to not having the appropriate part.

When I purchased my wheel bearing the last time, I technically speaking had two options. Both of the bearings I had to choose from seemed pretty much identical. That being said I now believe that I may have chosen the wrong one. Which has proven to be a potentially costly mistake.

So with this (second) go around, I have discovered several wheel bearing wholesalers online that have the parts listed at a noticeably cheaper (but not strangely cheaper) price. The problem I have now is much like the problem I faced at the parts store the last time. I have TWO options to pick from, one option is listed as a "Ball Bearing" and the other is listed as a "Wheel bearing". I'm not sure which one I should purchase and honestly I'm not sure what the best method for finding out this information would be. Furthermore, I was more on the idea that when I needed a part called a "wheel bearing" then I should probably buy a wheel bearing as opposed to ball bearing. I am officially at a bit of a loss, any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

I hate to tell you but you should replace the bearings in pairs (i.e. both rear ones in your case).

Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

I couldn't agree more, and that is the plan. But I still don't know which of the two parts to buy. You wouldn't happen to be able to shed some light on that for me, would you?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Being as your car is a Quattro you need the wheel bearing. I would guess the one named ball bearing is for the FWD model. And it doesn't matter if you replace both or just one at a time.

Good Luck...