General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wrecked TT - Repair vs. Total

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Wrecked TT - Repair vs. Total

I bought an 01 TT Roadster Quattro about a year ago and have loved it. It has about 118K miles and I have put in a sound system and replaced the top, but otherwise haven't really done too much to it yet.

This past weekend my son drove it over a median. As you can imagine driving this car over a 6 inch concrete median did some damage, and it did deploy the airbags.

The "known" issues are:
  • Both left rims and tires will need to be replaced. Currently has Tenzo rims and Michelin AS/3 tires.
  • The subframe and possibly the left front knee will need to be replaced.
  • The transmission has a "non-structural" crack in it which is causing a leak. The mechanic who I had look at it said transmission shops have a product call Defcon which may be able to stop the leak. Alternative would be to replace with a used one.
  • Both the driver and passenger air bags will need to be replaced along with the dash pad.
  • The rear wheel bearings will probably need to be replaced.

From the shop estimate and the insurance inspection, the damages are enough to total the car. The salvage value is around $1000, so I could buy it back and repair the car with the remainder, and I think still come out ahead, if I do most of the work myself. I do have the Bentley but no VAG-COM. I would be seeking some technical guidance from the forum as well.

My first question would be should I keep the car and repair it? I know the above items are issues, but am not sure what else I might run into. If anyone has experience with what other things I might find, I'd love some insight.

My next set of questions would be related to if I decide to keep the car and repair it.

Anyone know of trust worthy sources for salvage parts? (subframe, knee, airbags, dash pad, transmission). Can/Should I consider used airbags? This is tricky for me, I'm not experienced with working with airbags, and I've seen the videos on you tube.

From what I can tell I will have the front end torn apart. What upgrades should I consider while in it this far? Suspension, clutch, brakes, etc.

Any insight on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jawfish147