Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Carbonio cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Default Carbonio cold air intake

I recently bought a Carbonio intake for my 05 A4 2.0t, and now the MAF seems to keep dying. The dealer told me that the MAF is only rated for a certain pressure and the intake is letting too much air in and overloading the sensor, which in turn causes it to fry. Has this happen to anyone else and if so how did you fix the problem. the only thing left for me to do is put the factory airbox back on and try to sell the intake to someone else who want to deal with the problems. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them.

Paul

sorry if i double posted this, i'm new to the forum

Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

I have a Carbonio as well, and I recommend taking it to a different Stealership. The only things I have heard effect the intake system is the K&N filters which are a wet filter and wreak havoc by coating the sensors with the filter oil. As long as you are using the Carbonio, which is a dry filter so there should be no filter oil anywhere near it, I can personally guarantee that it is not your Carbonio. In fact it is one of the only filters that doesn't actually cause a loss of HP.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for starting this topic. I had been wondering what type of intake to get and wanted to get the carbonio for a while. This information is good. I will for sure get a dry filter now.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Dont get that piece of junk!!! I was in the same boat for a long time with getting intakes and i ended up getting an extra chunk of cash so in my mind im like "ok, ill get that carbonio intake because its 400 dollars so its probably superior engineering right?" totally WRONG!!! that thing is the biggest rip of your money you will ever find for the audi. underneath that "nice" carbon fiber are two pieces of extremely thin and flimsy sheet metal with a couple of bolts to hold a shitty pipercross dry filter in place. im positive that the designers spent about a weekend to design and build the entire thing. they think they can fool you with the carbon fiber(which was not top quality either) fitted to cover all the junk that lies beneath. save some money and go with a custom setup and a custom made heat shield You will probably make even more HP if you get a really good heat shield. you can save yourself atleast 150 bucks.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM
1st Gear

Well, personally I found the filter quality a little on the not-as-good-as-my-Audi-deserves side, but to be honest, I am very pleased with it. Was it worth $350? Since it came with EVERYTHING I needed for the install, and step-by-step printed instructions with PICTURES, yes, it was to me. As I have said in other posts, you are better off doing the custom work if you can, but I am an ape with custom work so this was what I wanted and needed.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM
1st Gear

And I found the sheet metal to be far from flimsy.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

I heard differently about the intake and its quality. The tuning shop that I will be taking my car to (Matrix Integrated) recommended either the Carbonio with a dry filter or another cone filter intake set up for the best power gains. They said that the quality of the intake was far superior to other cone filter designs but it is on the expensive side for an intake.

I am still undecided as to what to purchase... But to me the more expensive and high quality intake (Carbonio) seems to be the better choice. After talking to my shop they concluded that it would be the best for my car which makes me happy to finally get the intake issue settled.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 AM
1st Gear

As it stands now, my recommendation goes for the carbonio. If you can do amazing custom work yourself (and believe me, I have seen some AMAZING custom work on here) go with homemade. Save yourself the money. On the Audi's, the general opinion is that the stock air filter is totally adequate and you don't get much, if any, gains with *any* aftermarket intake.

That said, the Carbonio comes with the fittings for the bigger hoses and such should you decide to go Stage III from APR... So in that sense, it is future proof.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Yes that does make alot of sense. Why spend the money on an aftermarket intake unless you want the look and maybe a little extra power. But with the carbonio you can make it work with the APR stage III.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 PM

lol, step by step instructions on how to... put a cone filter on the end of a hose, clamp it down and make a heat shield? Took me an hour, a can of 1200 degree high heat paint, a piece of sheet metal, and a cone filter. But hey, if you wanna spend 400 bucks on a piece of **** "carbon" filter that looks nice.. by all means. Its your money. Id rather throw the extra cash into tinting tails, or getting upgraded springs.

Quick Reply: Carbonio cold air intake