Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Don't laugh... Plastic Intake Manifold ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Lightbulb Don't laugh... Plastic Intake Manifold ???

I've searched and read that it's a waste of time. I don't care. If I'm on this forum I have plenty of time to waste

Hoping to squeeze some extra HP out of my 2.8 I ordered phenolic spacers from 034. Then I saw an intake manifold on ebay and made an offer for like $40 and won. Other than cleaning the crap out of it (inside and out) and painting it I thought maybe I can do something to it to get a little more air flow.

My uncle the mechanic says that if it's clean like new that should help some. My idea is to use a flex bit and bottle cleaners with carb cleaner to get the tubes all clean. Then maybe hit the exhaust pipes with some sandpaper and buff them out afterward. Any suggestions?

I'll take pics and I guess we'll see what happens.

Not interested in hearing the antics of those of you who have nothing nice to say.

TIA

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM
4th Gear

You lost me.. are you asking about using a Composite Intake Manifold? Or how to get more air using the ebay one?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

Thats what I was thinking. I think if you polished the runners then at the botom ruff them up with sand paper. Apparently you want the air to be turbulant to help mix with the fuel. ALso Somewhere around here I think it was on this site someone was doing a pretty good study about adding material to the intake runners becasue if the port was smaller the air would have more velocity. Apparently it worked on some race bikes and such. Anyway good luck.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Didn't mean to confuse. I want more air. The ebay mani is a stock one that I can work on in the meantime and hopefully not ruin. I was hoping by slightly porting the bottom ends I could get more air to flow. (But I do know I have to be careful with plastic). The intake runners seem to be smooth enough bcuz it is plastic.

SO leaving it rough at the end would help?

I think I recall reading that thread too, about adding material to the intake runners. I'll search but if you find it I'd appreciate it.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Senior Administrator

Not to be a buzzkill, but, lemme see if I understan what you (two?) are attempting...

You are hoping to, by error (I'd say, "trial & error but you just have the one intake to screw around with), achieve some sort of "ram-tuning" effect (google it), to increase the airflow and thereby the CC turbulence? Hoping, I presume, to increase your performance and/or mileage by dint of some sort of engineering/tuning epiphany heretofore un-discovered by tens-of-thousands of years of collective auto industry engineering schooling and billiions-of-dollars of auto industry R&D?

OK!

You'll need some of these tools, to help you in your process:

A Pilot Wrench

Don't forget to get a Boost-Bar

You may also wanna pick up some Adjustable Power Bands

Spark *Plugs* will help ignite your newly turbulented fuel-air mixture

And, you'll need PLENTY of Elbow Grease, to muscle your way through those tough-to crack Nuts & Bolts

Oh, and, when you're done, don't forget to dyno, to verify your results

Next week: Cosmetic & Appearance upgrades

Stay *Tuned*

Old 10-03-2009, 12:26 PM
4th Gear

Well, it can be down but it takes a knowledge of what you are doing and what works and what doesnt on this particular engine combo.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:43 PM

LOL. the jerkys on this forum are entertaining.

SO I start today I'm going to start to clean this thing because there's a ton of residue in it. I'll probably spray it down with some engine cleaner then power wash it all out. Next, I found an extra long pipe cleaner that I'm looking to run through the runners with some carb cleaner until it's all clean. Last I have a 14" flex bit I'm going to attach to either an air tool or drill with a dremel sandpaper bit and go half way up the exhaust port...

TBC

Old 10-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Administrator

Hey 2.8Luv, glad you saw the humor, and not hate.

N-E-way, with apologies for the fun at your expense, most of my post was directed at superdug's missive. Seriously, you are basically trying to "improve* on something that has been designed by millions of dollars of R&D money, with a dremel-tool, carb-cleaner and some sand-paper. There is more to "combustion-chamber" turbulence than simply disrupting the airflow. If that were the case, smoothing out the upper portion of the runner would be counter-productive to what your stated goal is, true, or am I mis-reading?

Same with the dug's theory about adding material to the runners. If true, using a narrower intake would mean extra "free" super-fast airflow and there'd be millions of websites dedicated to how best to choke your intake for the "fastest" air!

I wasn't kidding when I said you were hoping to come up witha solution that all those other guy's schooling & coporate deep pockets hadn't. I mean, if you were using some sort of CAD program, and had scanned in your intakes profile, crunchin some numbers... Maybe.

Anyway, you're gonna go ahead with it, anyway, I know, because *I* was young, once, too.

Good luck!

Stay in school!

Keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM
4th Gear

Aw... having narrower, longer runners help power down low by improving VE through higher velocity air. Now, the problem comes in that AUDI has already done the work - thus the variable runners.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

Sorry been a way for a minute but in response to my earlier post. By the way I do see the humor in your post and I take it in Gest but what i have found is that generally those millions of dollars of research have gone into some engineers pocket and generally enginners all think inside the box. Now I don't have any formal schooling to speak of on cars or any proper knowlege on engine therory. All i have is a decade or so of building motors for race cars and street cars. and believe me I don't know everything and don't claim to know everything. The fun part here is you have an intake manifold you can screw with and try new things. just as an example that somehow all this miollions of dollars of research missed was if (only good for headers) but you can weld a flat plate in your headers dialed in to a very certain degree depending on the motors there was anywhere from 3-5% power increase. just by welding a simple plate inside your header. I know it's weird that some backwoods boys without a big fancy shop could figure this out but it happened. So back to what I was saying is that on our intake manifolds for our race car we would port and polish the intake then match our heads and gaskets so there was no way for the air to slow down. then at the bootom of the intake manifold we would just roughin up the runner not even a lot but it would disurb the air just enough to help it mix with the fuel. We had good results with it. Then I read that article about adding material it was on Race bikes agaian unproven bu the therory was sound and by starting off with the normal size runner then making it a little bit smaller at the end effectivly sppeding up velocity you could cram more air into the cylinder. Were not talking about a great deal either way, changing thinngs minuetly could alter the performance of the engine.

Side note is that i am not saying that anyway is right or wrong and most of what we have done has been off of our racecars with v-8's sometimes big block sometimes small blocks. And for our cars could be for better or for worse all I know is that nothing ever changes if you don't think outside the box.

Last edited by Superdug; 10-05-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Don't laugh... Plastic Intake Manifold ???