Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > Intake, Headers and Exhaust
Intake manifold runner control problems >

Intake manifold runner control problems

Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake manifold runner control problems

Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM
1st Gear
Cool Intake manifold runner control problems

Hi all!
I have an Audi A6 2007 and the engine management light came on! I plugged my reader in to get fault code "P2008" and a fault description of "intake manifold runner control, open or short circuit". I am just after abit of advice, where to start looking, and info about the runner control and it's purpose. Any help big or small would be greatly appreciated!
cheers guys,
Chris

Old 09-21-2013, 04:13 PM
1st Gear

Most likely cause is the intake runner flap motor. Not the ONLY cause, just the most common. Which engine do you have, 3.2 or 4.2? In either case, there's an electric actuator that operates the flaps. It's on the front of the intake manifold. The 4.2 has 2 of them, THINK the 3.2 only one(?)
The intake flaps are like throttle blades in each port. The purpose is to have them closed (which blocks off half the port) at low rpm/low load for improved throttle response. A smaller port maintains air velocity more than a large port would at low speed. Above a certain rpm (around 3,000), the flaps open for more airflow, which equals more power. This is also for fuel economy and, to some extent, emissions.

A small port engine will have excellent throttle response at the expense of total power output. A large port engine will have sluggish low speed throttle response but with more top end power. An analogy would be how a river flow speeds up when it goes through a dam gate for example.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

Hi Chris,

What was the diagnosis? What was the fix? I have code P2006. No vacuum leaks and vacuum motor moves the passenger flap when under vacuum. The driver side flap moves with it also. Now thinking it's the position sensor.

Any info on what your diagnosis and fix were would be very helpful.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

I'm having a similar problem with my 2006 A6 3.2L S-line. Check engine light, smog test failure for "Air Injection", repair shop telling me I need a vacuum leak test for multiple codes related to intake manifold. 8304, 8198, 8199, 9220, among others. He says if he will determine source of leak by vacuum leak test and then recommend repairs. Does this make sense?

I'm an Audi/car novice. Thanks in advance.