Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Most inexpensive Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

hey teamadaraptor did you notice any gain in performance, or was it more just the sound?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 AM

I didnt. From all the research and forum posts that I read through, creating an aftermarket CAI doesnt really do much for our car other than sound. On my old 240sx, it added throttle response, but didn't add any HP/TQ gains. From that, I don't feel any difference in my car with it.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

thanks

Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM

no problem at all, feel free to email or message me if you have any questions or need help. teamdaraptor@yahoo.com

Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 AM
1st Gear

was your mod the darintake?...id like to know if you can do it on an a4 i only see ppl tlaking abou doing it to S4s

Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 PM

My car is an a4 ^_^

Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

was this the darintake mod? whers your airbox? where are you getting your soucre of cold air? did you drill holes into the wheel well?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
2nd Gear

I was going to go with a cone filter and custom heatshield for my car. I also need a new hood, so I thought about getting a carbon fiber one with a vent to vector air into my intake setup. This sounds like a great performance gain in theory. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

Intake wont do any increase, you can really only lose there. the CF hood will help, I think the balance of the A4 was something like 55/45 front biased, so lightening anything up front is good, not so much for power but for handling. I could be wrong, I think that's the balance of the new A4's, but anything off the front end is good. I have asked before (and still not gotten an answer, except my old roommate's warning he got with his CF hood stating this), but beware of CF hood (blade) at neck level + rear ending someone or something. You could lose your head, literally. I don't know how viable or possible that is, but whenever CF hoods are mentioned, I will say it until proven otherwise.

The heat shield will help your intake air temps, which will definitely be good, colder air is denser.

All said and done I would estimate 3-5, up to 10 HP max increase.

This is all from memory, not much research, so treat it as opinion, I could be wrong on anything. Also of note I am speaking from B6 land, but I would expect some similarity... One thing that IS proven (or at the very least, general consensus), is that an intake will not give you a power increase, just audible blow-off from the turbo. A $350 Carbonio CF Intake will get you a whopping 2-3HP, and that's debatable... "Wet" (K&N with oil, other oiled filters) filters will actually do damage to your intake system (the oil coats the sensors).

I love my Carbonio though. Chip+injectors if you haven't already, but by your sig I would guess you have already.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 AM
2nd Gear

That's the first I heard of a CF hood making a difference in handling, it makes sense though. I figured using a hood with a vent for the intake would be similar and even more efficient than the darintake mod. I'm in it for the sound more than anything though, I just dont want to drop the money for a Carbonio.

The damage that oiled filters do the sensors, is this with most vehicles? or is it something particular to Audi/VW?

Quick Reply: Most inexpensive Intake