Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Resonator advantages and disadvantages

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
GR
Question Resonator advantages and disadvantages

i search resonator in this forum but there isn.t written clearly and professionally.

so please write here what will be disadvantages to cut stock resonator (except sound).

as i know resonator also is flame-arrester...

so lets write here + and - cutting resonator

Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Yes, aside from sound. I cant think of any disadvantages. Straight pipe myself, res and muffler removed. Less weight, more power, better sound, mpg+.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 AM
GR

Originally Posted by DraxeofDclan
Yes, aside from sound. I cant think of any disadvantages. Straight pipe myself, res and muffler removed. Less weight, more power, better sound, mpg+.

yes but what do you think about cutting resonator we also cut flame-arrester

Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 AM

im thinkin about removing my resonator also!
i've never heard of "flame-arrester" tho...
does that mean it'll be shootin firebals out the exhaust? lol that'd be awesome!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 AM
GR

Originally Posted by mexican47
im thinkin about removing my resonator also!
i've never heard of "flame-arrester" tho...
does that mean it'll be shootin firebals out the exhaust? lol that'd be awesome!
yes as i heard it will damage rear muffler, if it is stock and non race use (last one)

Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 AM

not quite sure what u were tryin to say...

Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

I have Remus mufflers in the back, and at first I kept the resonator. Very quiet, and almost stock sounding. I had it cut out and with strait pipes in place of it. It sounds much better, very exotic sounding on the V6, not so sure on the 1.8T. There is now a VERY SLIGHT drone around 2-2.5k but its way worth it to me. If you would like an idea of the difference it makes, I have before and after vids.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Chances are you won't shoot flames with the resonator removed. The cat will quench a flame, should it make it into the exhaust system. Remove the resonator AND cat, and you may pop one here and there. I used to get afterburn fireballs on my 300ZX (running divorced-gate downpipes, testpipes, and full catback with perforated-core B&B mufflers), but I had zero restriction behind the turbos. On a redline shift, full throttle, I could see the flash in my rearview mirror on a dark road With cats though, the flames were quenched.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

I have a 99 2.8 2inhalf pipe with rez I was thinking of taking mine out to I first did it like that and it was ******* loader then that it is still load but always could be better u know any help whould be good O I have a flowmaster help

Old 12-10-2008, 02:46 PM

^^ ?????

Quick Reply: Resonator advantages and disadvantages