Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Swiss Cheese MOD!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Question Swiss Cheese MOD!?!

Is it good, is it bad, all I know.... its ugly, but Its a lot cheaper than most aftermarket options. What I want to do is DIY but it wont let me post there for some reason, anyway is this gonna mess up my power and air sensors or am I safe?

For those who clicked on swiss cheese mod to find out what it is, you drill as many holes as you can into the bottom of your air filter housing (like Swiss cheese) before it gets filtered and it sucks up a ton more air plus the air it would stock, bad thing is that its all hot air from your engine, good thing is it sounds awesome and in my case throttle response was quicker and car goes fasterI

Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
4th Gear

hmm i dont see how ur car is fast if u are getting more hot air into your turbo? i believe all the swiss cheese mod does is make ur turbo sound a little louder.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

That was my thought as well, I'm in the prosess of building an air tunnel to the air box mostly using vent pipe aluminum to flow in cold air from anywhere on that side of the car and a custom heat shield between the engine, but could it really make a difference anyway all the engine needs is oxygen, hot or cold oxygen, there's no difference in the oxygen ratios in the air?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

Its like comparing how much faster your car is in the winter than in summer its not that much of a difference

Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by LongRod_Johnson
That was my thought as well, I'm in the prosess of building an air tunnel to the air box mostly using vent pipe aluminum to flow in cold air from anywhere on that side of the car and a custom heat shield between the engine, but could it really make a difference anyway all the engine needs is oxygen, hot or cold oxygen, there's no difference in the oxygen ratios in the air?
Actually there is a difference in the 0xygen Ratio's between hot & cold air. Oxygen molecules expand when they are heated & take up more space. As oxygen cools off the molecules condense. This means that your engine is able to hold more oxygen in the same amount of space. More oxygen & more fuel ='s bigger bang & more overall power.

Also if you have a more compacted amount of oxygen in the combustion chamber & do not compensate for this additional oxygen with more fuel you are actually running the engine leaner. Running leaner will generate more power also to an extent. Run too lean & things start to burn up. But the benefit of having a denser air intake charge is the ability to add more fuel to generate more power.

This is the main reason why nitrous oxide works so well. N20 (1 part nitrogen 2 parts oxygen) twice as much oxygen in the same amount of space. Not to mention the cooling effects are a huge benefit as well...

Last edited by sAUDI 5000 G; 04-14-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Could someone make a DIY for this? It doesn't really sound difficult but I don't want to mess anything up with the MAF or anything like that when I go to remove the airbox. Also how many hole and of what size do people use?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

I made abunch like 15-20 3/4 inch holes on the bottom of your airbox before it gets filtered, preferably away from the engine as cold air is best, as long as you are capable of putting things back were they were, I did it and I'm no genius

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

And as far as the cold hot air ratio goes I would feel that the amount of air that is being taken in after Swiss cheesing it would compansate for the difference in temperature of the air plus the stock intake is still on so its getting that cold air too, hot air may not be good but its better than not being used at all right?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM
4th Gear

here's my 2 cents...

The air is sucked up by the hot *** turbo, and compressed (which also generates heat) then goes through the SMIC which helps cool things off a little bit... The difference, between "hot" engine bay air, and "cold" outside air is negligible, like the difference between winter and summer days...

Also, the swiss cheese mod, if done right, actually pulls air from the wheel well...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

So I got impatient just spent the last half hour or so doing this mod. This is what I've found.

No warning lights have gone on.
There isn't a noticeable increase power, but the sound is improved. Its a little deeper and throatier sounding and you can hear the turbos spool.

Getting the air box in and out of my 2.7t was a little bit of the pain in the ***, but nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Swiss Cheese MOD!?!