Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Tech > Interior
Boost Gauge, whats the difference? >

Boost Gauge, whats the difference?

Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Boost Gauge, whats the difference?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Arrow Boost Gauge, whats the difference?

Hi! I am new to the Audi/VW world and to the wonderful world of turbos. I have searched on this forum and I came up dry with answers.

I want to buy a boost gauge for my 07 2.0T A4 but I am stuck at what the difference is between a Mechanical boost gauge and a Electronic Stepper Motor boost gauge is. Can someone please explain the difference? Heres reference links;

Stepper:
Podi - Audi B7 A4 Stepper Motor Boost Gauge Package - BSH Speedshop

Mechanical:
Podi - Audi B7 A4 Mechanical Boost Gauge Package - BSH Speedshop

Now these two are 60 dollars difference in price. Whats the difference? Please dont come in here and just say, you get what you pay for b/c that is not the answer I am looking for. Thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

anyone???

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

can a mod move this to a different section with more traffic?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

A mechanical boost gauge works off vacuum or pressure, the vacuum or pressure is transferred via a vaccum line to a mechanical gauge with a spring inside. The pressure or vacuum pulls and pushed the gauge.

A stepper motor gauge has a sensor that detects the vacuum or pressure and sends it by wire electronically to a gauge (with a stepper motor) which is a fast moving accurate type of motor, commonly used for this application.

Sam

Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

I have a mechanical gauge and it does buzz at high boost. I have a anti buzz fitting on as well.

Bskis explanation is pretty good. Most if not all boost gauges have backlighting on them so they will have a pos/neg wires that will need to be tapped, unless you don't mind not having a backlight then just leave them unconnected.