Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Point me to a DIY of woodgrain trim to silver trim please!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Point me to a DIY of woodgrain trim to silver trim please!

Simply like the title states, I just need some directions to do the trim job of converting the woodgrain into the silver. Also, does anyone know how I can fix a center console arm that was pulled out (the two clips/arms are not connecting and holding it in place) or where to buy a new one? Thanks for any help!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Point me to a DIY of woodgrain trim to silver trim please!

Here's the link to the page that shows you how to remove all of the wood trim:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int21.shtml

I used this procedure to remove mine when I painted it silver to match my car. It looks intimidating but it's easy and it'll take you all of about 40 minutes to remove all the trim. Are you looking to replace the wood trim with the OEM Audi metallic silver trim? If so, you might want to consider painting it instead - or getting the OEM stuff and doing the process shown in that link - they used aircraft stripper to create a brushed aluminum look. If you paint, make sure to sand it fairly smooth, prime with filler primer, spray a few coats, and then clearcoat if you want a high-gloss look.

Here's how mine came out - I didn't clearcoat or use filler primer, as I wanted a somewhat industrial finish to it, not a smooth finish as if it were fiberglassed.