New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 a4

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM
1st Gear
Default 98 a4

hey guys i want to buy a 98 a4 2.8 v6 what are things i should look for? problem areas i kno timing belt anythin else?
what do you think about these

heres tthe first

the second

Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Default RE: 98 a4

From what I've learned, you have to watch out for control arm failures - they're known on these cars, and they're NOT cheap. The best thing you can do is try to find the most well-documented car you can afford, so you know what you're getting into. That being said, I got my car a couple months ago (99 V6 Quattro), and it has already had the timing belt and control arms done by the previous owner. The little hassle things I have on my car also seem common to many - a failing turn signal stalk that prevents the cruise control from activating or staying on (turn signals work fine), which is about an $80 replacement, a screwy gas gauge that will drop to empty when I get below half a tank (fairly easy DIY R&R on that, which is documented here on the site). I also have a failing right rear wheel bearing, and apparently wheel bearing failures are common too - about $250-300 for the full job at a shop, or take the hub off yourself, take it there, and spend about $60 having a new bearing pressed in after they remove the old one. That seems to be about the extent of the problems really - the 1.8T has more problems than the 2.8 V6 from what most say.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 AM
4th Gear

Pretty much everything covered there. The 2.8 is very reliable as long as you maintain the service intervals. I'd get the second one. Are you sure you want to get the 2.8 instead of the 1.8T? Just checking if you're aware of the pros and cons of either. Read this... https://www.audiforums.com/m_355352/tm.htm

Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 AM
5th Gear

welcome to he forums if you search around you will find lots of info about these cars you might find helpful in your car search