New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"99 A8 4.2 oil smell on pass side

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
1st Gear
Default "99 A8 4.2 oil smell on pass side

Hello: I have a 1999 audi A8 4.2 liter....173,000 miles....just completed the timing belt and everything that comes in the Blaufergnugen kit....including cam and crank seals, thermostat, both belts, water pump, etc. runs great. smelling oil after warm up...more prevalent on passenger side. Before I start digging around thought I'd try to get some ideas. We own a golf course in NW PA....winter is a great time to work on machinery....gotta fix this thing so we can start worjing on MOWERS!!!! thanks for any and all ideas, chpro

Old 02-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by chpro
Hello: I have a 1999 audi A8 4.2 liter....173,000 miles....just completed the timing belt and everything that comes in the Blaufergnugen kit....including cam and crank seals, thermostat, both belts, water pump, etc. runs great. smelling oil after warm up...more prevalent on passenger side. Before I start digging around thought I'd try to get some ideas. We own a golf course in NW PA....winter is a great time to work on machinery....gotta fix this thing so we can start worjing on MOWERS!!!! thanks for any and all ideas, chpro
I can almost guarantee its either a leaking REAR cam seal or a cam chain tensioner gasket or possibly a valve cover gasket. The smoke is because the oil is leaking from the back of the cylinder head and dripping onto the hot downpipe. The leak could be any combination of those things I mentioned. The only way to verify this would be to have the car running after a minutes and look or feel for where the oil leak is coming from. This depends on how bad the leak is. Personally when I had an issue like yours I just went ahead and replaced the VC gaskets, both rear cam seals, and the cam chain tensioner gasket for the passenger side (driver's side is much harder to access and do, nevertheless a very easy job to DIY)

Link to a DIY:

AudiWorld Tech Articles

The cam seals aren't mentioned in this DIY, but all you have to do is use a pick to pry out the old one and tap in the new one.

Last edited by AudiDeficitDisorder; 02-08-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Sorry, I thought you said your car was a 2.8L. But the job should be very similar and the diy would still be a good start