New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie, First Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Another Newbie, First Audi

Hi All...

Stumbled across this site last night, have been doing a lot of reading.... Good to see such an active site...

I just picked up a 1996 A4 2.8 Auto Red, black interior with 99k

As I am reading I see people say to stay away from 96's ... is this mainly because its the first of the year spread (96-01) of that body style.

I also see that the turbo is more desirable for mods, I don't plan to add power, if I wanted power I would have kept my Camaro SS. I think the car moves along just fine...

I have only driven the car a little but have fallen in love with it... It makes meWANT to drive instead of HAVING to drive.

I picked up the car extremely cheap and has only small minor issues I am dealing with.... I can definately see another A4 in my future after this.

I think it is a beautiful car, extremely comfy with the heater pleather seats, and feels very solid, doors shut with the quality thud.

Glad to be a part of the forum...

Let me startwith a couple questions..

Stereo... I have the Delta (non Bose) stereo and the screen has a leak in the LED causing a dead spot, So I need to replace it. I may just get another used unit from ebay, I may get aftermarket.

My question with this is.... Are there any preferred head units that match the interior nicely? I hate aftermarket radio looks.. It would have to be a very similar color, and have similar buttons. I am thinking I should just stay stock, I don't plan to add more power or speakers, I think it sounds good as it is. I would like CD option though... Is there a single DIN CD unit from a newer Audi that would plug in?

Second question...

When accelerating hard I hear a interesting noise in the tranny.... it is not that noticeable but for a second or two it has a light metallic pinging sound.... maybe it has lower octane gas and it is pinging from the motor, but it sure seems in the transmission area... Just curious if this is common on any of them... The fluid is full and very clean, all other works normal.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Another Newbie, First Audi

Congrats on the Audi and Welcome

Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome, As for the Radio stay stock. some shops wont be able to scan your car for DTC's with an aftermarket radio. (they fry the scanner) it is the first rule at work...Gotta check the car for an aftermarket radio before plugging in the computers.

As for the second question you should always put at least 91 oct in. I use 93 always in all my cars ('01 S4, '00 A6 2.7 and a '92 BMW) Im not sure about the pinging though.

These forums are great I'm sure you will find them very useful. Welcome.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

Thx Camo...

Do you know if I can get a CD stock radio from another Audi?