New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New To Euro Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
1st Gear
Default New To Euro Vehicles

What's up Audi owners?!

I'm brand new to the Euro cars. I'm looking to buy an Audi A4 1.8t 1998 from my boss. The car is auto and use to be her son's car. It has 69,782 miles on it, mint interior and exterior. The transmission oil pan has a hole. Her son hit a pothole and now the first gear is beginning to stick. It shifts real hard from first to second. My boy who owns a 2000 A4 told me once i get the oil pan replaced and the transmission filled with fuild at the dealership, that should solve the problem. He recommended to change the timing belt, water pump and thermostat. The front suspension is rattling on the driverside so i know there will be some work need to be done there too. The Airbag light is on even though the car has no accidents. I haven't bought it yet but thinking about it. Does anyone think this is a good deal? My boss is looking for around $3,500. I'm a moderator from a Honda Prelude forum and know alot about the Prelude.I don't want to get into a money pit which everyone tells me that is what the A4 is. I own two honda preludes and i'm looking to sell one and get this A4 for more room. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dark Rican

Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator
Default RE: New To Euro Vehicles

Welcome to audiforums!

It's a great thing that you're considering Audi but one thing you have to consider is the price of the timing belt change.
The cost can vary from 800-1000+.

Just another factor for you to consider!

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kriptonik

Welcome to audiforums!

It's a great thing that you're considering Audi but one thing you have to consider is the price of the timing belt change.
The cost can vary from 800-1000+.

Just another factor for you to consider!
Thanks for the welcome. Oh i'm aware of the money that'll go into a car. I'm huge with the Honda Prelude family. But i know this is a different beast. My bestfriend and roommate owns a shop so we'll be doing most of the work.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Anyone think this is a good buy or should I forget it. My friend who owns a 2000 isn't too convincing and my mechanic friend tells me that the A4 is a never ending money pit. I'm not the type that looks the cheap way out to everything. I'm about getting the best and anything that looks clean on the car. Basically all i'm looking for is a realiable daily driven car. I have a very realiable Prelude that i currently daily drive but i need more space. All i would want to do is fix any problems with the audi, nice rims, clean lip kit, replace the headlights with HID housings & HID system and replace the radio to an navi. All of my cars i've owned are 5 speed. This would be my first auto. Anyone have suggestions if i should get this car for that price with the problems it has now?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

Any suggestions?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

Thanks kriptonik for being the only member to give any input. I didnt get any other suggestions from not only this forum but from two other Audi fourms. Even though I liked the car, I'm just gonna let the A4 go.