New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner of a B5 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:09 PM
1st Gear
Default New Owner of a B5 2.4

Newcomer here from the dark side (had BMW E36's previously). Just bought a 1999 B5 with auto 2.4. I know that the 2.4 auto boxes are not as highly regarded as the manual version but it had a new gearbox at 89k miles (now on 120k). Full AudiSH and very well looked after.
look forward to learning more about every day maintenance on the forum!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2001 A4 B5 298,000kms. APS engine.
Have just replaced the brushes in the alternator _NZ$5.50...
A really easy job to do myself, started with dashboard alt light coming on while driving once, then it worked as normal, then came on again, repeated several times and stayed on (while engines running, not 'On' with no key in ignition). There's a 'Tec' with photos on the internet on how to DIY it.

And.... Has started to leak from the thermostat housing. You end up with water dripping onto the alternator area (since you cannot actually see where its coming from..)
So, next time you get the cambelt etc etc etc done, swap the plastic housing (part # 078121121k) for a Aluminium one (part # 078121121j )
Also some thermostats have a higher profile and will crack the plastic housing.

Headlining in the car has dropped. Lol, Audi's are well known for this....

Button the bottom right of the heater controls didn't work. Fixed with a small bit of foam behind the PC board. (Easy fix)

ATM, replacing outer CV joint because the boots ripped, and fraying on the drivers safety belt.
I'm also thinking one of the electric thermostat senders is not working 100%. The electric cooling fans on all of the time.
When buying the unit, get the one with the plastic clip included.....

Heater cores input tube corroded and broke inside the hose while I was playing with the rear electric thermostat sender ( the one with the broken clip...)
Don't worry...there's plenty of extra input tube pipe left under the rubber grommit seal so you can push the seal back and reattach the hose closer to the firewall.

Corrugated plastic insulation around the sparkplug leads has got brittle.
I'm putting some new tubing on it tomorrow.

Drink holders return springs come undone from the plastic slot (the slots plastics broken off, spring pops out)
I'm going to melt the slot deeper with a near red hot table knife to fix it tomorrow.

Find out how to access the 'hidden menu' on the heater controls ( 'recirc arrow' + 'fan faster' buttons at same time. 'Windscreen' button turns it off)
49 & 51 are the engine temps,
49 is closer to my dashboard temp. 51 rises faster over 65°C and stops at 90°C.
But I do think my sender units are not 100% correct.

Left rear windows stuck closed.. Left front needs manual help to get it to rise as the tracks not fixed in place properly.
I'm going to fix these and put in a extra 'Ghost light' which illuminates the ground under the door with the Audi symbol when its opened.

A very very nice car to drive though. I think I will stick with driving Audi's from now on.
I have 2x 1996 A4 B5' 1800's with gearbox problems. Audi manufacturing faults as its soooo common. Hopefully I will find out how to fix it.
A 'Multi switch' fault? Switch on the side of the gearbox?

Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

Hi MarteA4
Wow, very informative message thank you for taking the time to write all that. Very useful list of things to look out for along with cheap easy fixes! Lets hope all the issues I encounter have a relatively easy fix.
Thanks again