New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Stop the Deal & Don't Buy an Audi 2.7T engine
10.00%
Stop the Deal - ONLY Buy an Audi You Had Inspected
10.00%
Go Ahead and Buy This Audi You're Going to LOVE it!
20.00%
You would need more info before making an opinion
0%
I should have bought (means don't buy the 2.7T engine):
0%
Audi A4 1.8T
10.00%
Audi A4 3.0
10.00%
Audi A6 3.0
10.00%
Infinity G35X
20.00%
Buy it and Find a Very Good Indie Mechanic in Chicago
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Should I NOT Buy the 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line I'm About to Buy?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Should I NOT Buy the 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line I'm About to Buy?

How's it going everyone? Hope you're all doing well in this cold and wet weather.

I just read this thread https://www.audiforums.com/m_764059/tm.htmtitled Problem after Problem and it really got my attention. No post-purchase dissonance because I haven't paid for the car. But, I'm reluctant to move forward without some of you good folks advice.[/align][/align]I am about to spend a lot of hard earned money on a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line with 45k miles. I cannot afford a high maintenance vehicle. I drive about 45 miles per day and I need my car to get me to and from work without interruption. I bought it from a dealer out of state. They have 100% positive feedback (515 positives) on ebay over the past7 years. Pictures demonstrate car is exceptionally clean.Carfax clean as well.

Should I stop the deal?If the answer to my question is yes, what other Audi engine would you suggest? Or, would you suggest another brand altogether? My decision was between an Infinity G35X and the Audi A6. I cannot be in a position where I'm having significant repair costs in addition to routine maintenance.[/align]
Please use the poll above if you want to quickly answer with some privacy.

Thanks,
Mark

This is my original post I put up here prior to reading the thread describing people's problems with the 2.7T engine.....
Sometimes when it is 105 degrees and the heat from the pavement burns your feet, I wish for a couple of cold days. Now, I wish for 105 degrees.

I'm very new to the Audi experience. Today I agreed to buymy first Audi after test driving them for the first time yesterday. Guess I really enjoyed the ride.

I hope to be a fun and contributive member here over the years, though right now I'm just starting to learn about this brand.

So, hopefully I won't step on anyone's toes, but feel comfortable letting me know if I do.

Unfortunately most of what I'll be doing is READING WHAT'S BEEN WRITTEN by searching the various forums and asking questions AFTERWARD. Ideally I'll be able to say something that may or closely resemble something intelligent...but I don't expect that to happen for the next few years. Ah, the joys of learning something about which so many other people are passionate. Sometimes it makesme hesitate before Iopen up my idiot box and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in here first and say hi and let you all know I really appreciate places like this that I can turn to because you've already put in effort to make it something special. That DEFINITELY includes the often forgotten contributions by the moderators who do a really tough but rewarding job. Wish I had the drive to do it. Ok, that was bad so I know it's time to go.

Regards,
Mark

PS Yes, I know, I know.... pics. Yep, as soon as I read how to do it in the FAQ I'll post them. God, I hope I don't have to ask a real noobie question after reading it by asking, "how do I post pics?". I really hate to do that.[]

Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Should I NOT Buy the 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line I'm About to Buy?

If you want a car to go from point a to point b with no unscheduled maintenance, get a Japanese car. The Audi is a great car and the 2.7 is a fun engine but requires deep pockets or a diy personality.

Jeff

Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 AM
1st Gear

After reading as much as possible in 12 hours, I decided to get the car and a FACTORY extended warranty. Total cost for a 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line w/45k miles and warranty should be about $19k. I think that's a good enough deal especially with the EXCELLENT financing I secured through my bank.

But, I'm still interested in hearing what folks think so PLEASE continue to post. Lots of visitors, but not a lot of feedback. Can't really blame you because I found SO MANY of these threads. SHOULD I BUY, etc...[]

Well, you can't blame someone for asking Q's after reading posts that call the 2.7T a "maintenance hog" and mention $5k for blown turbos, $5k for a tranny, etc...[:@]

Regards,
Mark

Old 01-26-2008, 12:23 PM
CIA
1st Gear

From all the reading i have done in the last weeks, the general opinion is that you will have maintenace costs no matter what. Most of the time the audi is a reliable car if and only if the maintenance is done properly.

The other things is: You have to try the car before you buy. Get the car inspected. You never know...heard some stories about cars going bad only after a few miles...

A wise thing is not to rush into such a big decision.Take the time to make sure the car was properly maintained. This way, i think, you wont have unexpected $$.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear

The 2.7t is a great motor and super modable, but if you're looking for reliability the 4.2l V8 is where you should put your money.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

After speaking with a local Audi dealership, I found out the car has an excellent service history: 5K, 15K, 35K, and 45K. The 45K was JUST performed on 1/16/08, so no need to get it inspected and serviced! NICE!!!![sm=yeahsmile.gif]

So, every bit more information makes this deal look like a gem!

Thanks to members who have voted on the poll and replied here. Keep them coming!

Regards,
Mark

[IMG]local://upfiles/48270/5CB002CF64DE404D9F76A0D3B8E11124.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
1st Gear

Mark

KEEP UP ON OIL CHANGES.

They says do it at 5k miles, but do it at 3k. Oil is critical to the life of your turbos.
Basic maint will prevent most of the big stuff. I had a Lexus before I got my 2.7T A6 and it required very little maint but was nowhere near as much fun. I can tell you my A6 brings me nothing but joy every time I drive it, and I'm basically stock right now. You should be very happy with it. Don't be afraid to drive it hard either, these cars LOVE it.