New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to step up from the '90 Buick to A4 with mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Time to step up from the '90 Buick to A4 with mods

Hello All,

It sure was tough to part with my '90 Buick Century Custom, White, 138K miles, with damage to the front left fender/headlight just to give it that added flair....riiiiigggghhhhht. After some long and arduous searching for "The One," I finally came across a '02 A4, 1.8T Q, Black/Black Leather, with all of the fixins I was hoping for. I picked it up in Malibu and made the breeze of a drive back to Seattle. The guy I got it from made a few mods to the car, and I have yet to email him for the official laundry list of stuff. Here is the list to the best of my ability:

I have pictures, but they haven't been able to find their way out of my camera yet, but they will be up soon.

-20% tint on all of the windows with about a 3 inch sun visor/guard on the windsheild
-Blacked out side markers
-The undercarriage (plastic like stuff around the bottom) color matched black to the car
-The engine has a Neuspeed Chip
-The chrome around both grills on the front has been painted black
-The crhome on the rear bumper has been painted black
-Standard Audi 17" wheels have been put on in place of the stock "16's
-All of the badges (except for the rings) have been removed from the rear of the car
-There might be tips on the exhaust, but I haven't bothered to check if what I'm looing at are stock or not
-HID bulbs in the headlights, and white/hid bulbs in front and rear turn signals*
-Orange Glass on the turn signal covered*

*The last two mods mentioned concern me because I can't afford a ticket. I am thinking about changing the bulbs to the LLTEK S-Yo bulbs (look clear, blink yellow) so that I don't run into problems. Also as you will see below, I am looking at getting smoked euro-spec headlights, so that would take care of the orange glass. This is my most urgent issue.

Future mods I am considering:

*Some may be cheesy, some may not be advised, and others may just need a little direction, so input will be greatly appreciated

-Full Reiger Body Kit (concerned about clearance/durability because this car is my daily driver, and if you didn't catch it, I live in Seattle, which is a bit hilly)
-Eibach Springs (again concerned about clearance)
-Smoked Euro-Spec Headlights with S-Yo Bulbs
-Brushed aluminum Audi ring logo decals for the headrests (here is the cheesy one, and concerned about putting a decal on the leather)
-Air Filter Stuff (poss. K&N)
-Chrome wheels (probably something with a lip)
-Exhaust system (nothing too loud)
-Sound/DVD/Nav system

Thanks, from a new Audi owner. -Shigeo

Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Time to step up from the '90 Buick to A4 with mods

hey shiego, welcome to the forums. sounds like you have one wicked car there, the only mod on there that I wouldn't have personally planned on doing is the bulb! so yeah, i'll give u the green light on the s-yo . though I actually prefer the yellow reflection you get from an amber bulb when the bulb is off (ask a guy named jestnomen for a pic of what i'm talking about)

with a full rieger kit and no suspension drop, i'm assuming your car is sitting about 3" lower... but this is a pure estimate. to maximise the look of your audi, most suggest a 2" drop, so that's something to think about (the eibach springs you mentioned are probably 2")

be aware: eibach is EXPENSIVE, i would suggest Koni.

for the aluminum rings in the headreast.. i can't imagine that being too comfortable when you lean your head back... and i don't think it's going to look as well as you are imagining... nor will it last too long.

air filter... stay away from K&N... it acutally ruins your MAF (mass airflow sensor) which is very sensatie. being an oil based filter.. overtime the oil will coat your MAf... as well as with more airflow you are allowing more damaging particles to chip away at the MAF. i'd suggest a CAI, as far as they go...i'm useless i don't know which to suggest.

i'm not a huge fan of chrome rims.... so i'm gonna go with a no on this one In my opinion, audis look best with rims with more than 6 spokes. my current favorites being the RS4 replicas (jestnomen) and OZ titan, you will also see brrrman's ADR rims which i think look really slick.

i'm a huge fan of borla, the system they make for the 1.8T sounds really mean, and they have a nice low, quiet rumble, which I love.

as for the sound system... this all depends on if you currently have the bose system. if you do... don't touch it, it's perfect. maybe change the amp... that's about it. as for DVD and nav... i can't help ya there. not my bag

Old 03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input. Any direction is very appreciated. Also, being new to the Audi scene in the Seattle area, I would love a point in the right direction of a good aftermarket shop/garage. While I am interested in doing a few mods to my new ride, I want to make sure that I don't void the warranty that is still good until Jan '06.

Now that I am with my camera, I have put up two of the shots I took of the car after I got it home from the trip.

Enjoy, I know I am.

-Shigeo

Old 03-30-2005, 12:57 AM
6th Gear

hey shigeo welcome. did you paint your headlights black in the corners?

Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 AM
4th Gear

looks great man. definatly got something funky going on on those lights. thought it was an A6 for a sec there.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:52 AM
1st Gear

The guy that I bought it from blacked out the taillights, then decided against it, so he took it off (They still look a little darker in some light though.) Then he put some kind of special tape on the side of the headlights. You can't even tell that it is tape unless you get within a foot. I like the look, but I still think I want the E-code lights.

Jestonen- Do you have a pic of the bulbs CheckMyVitals was talking about? Email will work if you don't want to post it- shigeo45@hotmail.com

Thanks

Old 03-30-2005, 09:56 AM
6th Gear

Well you can remove the amber turn signal. I think thats te look he was going for.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 PM
4th Gear

jeeze, thanks for the help jest

i was talking about these pics. this is jest's car

personally i like the amber reflection better, but whatever floats your boat. yeah, you can remove the amber lense piece... which I highly suggest. it will look a lot like Jest's headlights here, but not exactly. the headlights above are 'ecodes'

Old 04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all of the help, and the welcome. See you all around the forums.

-Shigeo