Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I'm sure a little dyno tuning could sort that fuel trim problem out in pretty short order. I'm not really a fan of being engaged either, but my girlfriend and I have been together damn near 6 years now, so it's time. My only regret is that dropping many doll hairs on a ring means I'll have to wait THAT much longer for turbo fun.

As for the locking tab, I've read enough threads about that, it's on my list of parts. Did I hear you say someplace that the new FT manifolds come with studs instead of nuts and bolts? I also think I'm going to try out an eBay tube manifold I found, just to see what happens.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by CCA4
I'm sure a little dyno tuning could sort that fuel trim problem out in pretty short order.
Logging a drive on the street, sending that data out, and manipulating the tune (by United Motorsport) should be adequate, I'd think. Dyno tuning would be more expensive

I'm not really a fan of being engaged either, but my girlfriend and I have been together damn near 6 years now, so it's time. My only regret is that dropping many doll hairs on a ring means I'll have to wait THAT much longer for turbo fun.
6 years is certainly much longer than I've been with mine, but I've known her since high school (6-ish years) and we've been "seriously" dating for almost a year and a half. Lucky for me she has a decent job and is incredibly good when it comes to spending... and even has a higher credit score than my already-good score!

As for the locking tab, I've read enough threads about that, it's on my list of parts. Did I hear you say someplace that the new FT manifolds come with studs instead of nuts and bolts? I also think I'm going to try out an eBay tube manifold I found, just to see what happens.
My FT kit originally came with bolts and lock-washers to strap the turbo to the manifold. After I mentioned my issues with them to Doug he sent me a set of studs and nuts. Studs are more of a challenge to work with in the tight space around the turbo area but in the long run I prefer them over bolts. Although if you're never planning to pull the turbo, bolts would be ideal... just make sure to slip them into the manifold along with the locking tab prior to installing the manifold on the head.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll just skip the eBay manifold and run the FT mani with the 034 locking tab and call it built lol

Old 12-21-2012, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

Just want to warn you about eBay tubular manifold... It cracks easy and gives you very poor drivability. The cast iron manifold is the best compromise to go down with if you want to save some drivability combined with lower EGTs..

the tub manifold is for track use i woud say..

I know this through testing. You can problably find my threads some where

Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Was able to get some work done over the 4-day weekend

Name:  20130101_194900_zps1a1c8b72.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  328.4 KB

What you'll first see is an AGN valve cover. Went this route because A) it looks super clean and will be easier to keep clean B) doesn't require an engine cover to look good (so I can sell my CF engine cover) C) my TSI coilpacks, which were meant to be push-down, can be used as such (will be able to sell my 034 coilpack adapters) D) it has a breather port which I'll hook up to my PCV/catch can setup soon (it's capped off for the time being).

Second, if you look closely, you'll see that I installed an EGT probe onto the FT exhaust manifold. The wiring and gauge aren't together yet but soon enough!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Things have been moving sllooowwwww with my car. I do most of my work at my parents' house, and lately I've only been there on Saturdays for a little bit. And that is thanks to wedding planning (for me!) and other various events.

In any case, last Saturday I redid some wiring. Pulled out the wideband O2 sensor cable for my Innovate MTX-L and put in place wiring for my new Zeitronix wideband setup. The MTX-L couldn't keep sensors lasting more than about 40 miles (yes, 40 miles!) before they would start freaking out and causing the E8 error code. This was even with the Innovate Motorsport O2 sensor heatsink bung extender to reduce the temps that the O2 sensor sees. So hopefully the Zeitronix setup will allow a little better sensor longevity.

Also routed the EGT probe wiring into the cabin.

And I still need to make a new Nexus 7 tablet mount so I can post pictures to show it off

Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

MetalMan,

Great thread. Found this while looking up adjustable FPR's for my new FT 21 setup. One question...

"If you go with the FT kit, just PROMISE me you'll use an 034 Motorsport locking tab! Turbo mounting bolts that loosen on their own are absolutely no fun."

What's this locking tab? Even with the K03s I had problems with the manifold/turbo bolts backing out - at least until I put nordlocks on them and tightened them with the turbo hot.

Keep up the good work...

Bryan
Wetdub.com • View topic - The Never Ending Corrado 1.8T Project

Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 AM

Hi Bryan, cool project!

If you've got the FrankenTurbo exhaust mani, the top is flat and you can use a flat locking tab which connects at each mounting bolt. See here:
K03/K04 Turbo Locking Flange - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen
What I normally do is torque down the mounting bolts to spec, drive around and get everything heated up, and torque them down again (like you have done). Then I go ahead bend up the tabs to conform around the bolts/nuts (currently using studs + nuts).

Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Ah, life. Seems like it always manages to keep you busy.

Finally last weekend I made the new mount to hold my Nexus 7 in place. I was planning to do this back in January... it's not complete as it needs more magnets (en route) and the faceplate needs paint

Several weeks ago I swapped out my front spindles and axle shafts, for 2001 spindles and S4 axles. The 2001 spindles (for 1.8T) have the larger 82mm bearing. Since my car is FWD it has the larger 108mm inner CV joint. S4 axles use the 82mm bearing and 108mm inner joint... so now my car uses S4 axles!

Also replaced the driver's-side control arms, and noticed my passenger's-side lower rear CA was shot (after ~25k miles) so replace that and the lower front CA a few days later. Needless to say, my front end feels much tighter.

Then I got an alignment and 2 new tires in the rear (I replace tires in pairs). My car never felt so good!

Changed out my NGK BKR7E spark plugs last night after the old ones had ~6,500 miles. New ones are gapped at 0.040" (2.0TSI coils FTW).

Purchased the Tyrolsport brake caliper stiffening kit. They came out with a new revision that uses longer brass sleeves (these brass sleeves replace the rubber guide pin bushings). Because the sleeves are longer they include rubber caps to keep in the grease around the guide pin, and also help keep dirt/debris out. So that was another $100, and the parts are sitting waiting for my free time.

On the whole my car is mostly done with mods I think.
My fiancee and I are looking for a condo/townhouse so soon I'll be paying a mortgage! Which of course means less money for car parts LOL.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM

Got the Tyrolsport brake caliper bushing/guide pin kit installed today. Took ~1.5 hrs but that included setting up and taking down the EZ-UP, and I took my time. Think I'm gonna have to wait for the pads to re-bed in before the benefits of the stiffer caliper bushings will be fully realized.

Quick Reply: MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread