Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Default RE: my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

A turbo works off of thermal compression. Putting it way back there, the exhaust cools a LOT, causing the flow to slow down.

theturbo works on flow, thats why a larger displacement engine makes more exhaust flow spooling a turbo faster.
[/quote]

Yes and no, the turbo works off of heat and back pressure. as the air enters the manifold the turbo traps the air creating back pressure. Meaning the pressure of the exhaust gas is higher than atmospheric pressure. A pressure and temperature drop occurs (expansion) across the turbine , which harnesses the exhaust gas’ energy to provide the power necessary to drive the compresso

Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 AM

so in turn by having that turbo way in the back you are loosing some of the ability of turbo to spool. Also since you have it feed by one chamber your exhaust gasses arnt working at full efficientcy because overlap is occuring. But despite all this i aplaud you for making it work. It is a good option if you do not want to run duel turbo's and im sure its mch cheaper.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: Bondga

so in turn by having that turbo way in the back you are loosing some of the ability of turbo to spool. Also since you have it feed by one chamber your exhaust gasses arnt working at full efficientcy because overlap is occuring.
This is why a equal lenth manifold works so much better because when one chamber passes it creates a little vacuum for the next one creating greater flow.

*** AND TO THE OP, i hope you have your headers and exhaust to the turbo wrapped to contain the heat. Like said above heat is important, and by traping that heat in the exhaust preturbo will aide in your performance.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

sorry but im going to have to refute some of these points

I bet it takes some time to spool up & you must have massive lag.

From the pic it looks like its before or replacing the cat

A turbo works off of thermal compression. Putting it way back there, the exhaust cools a LOT, causing the flow to slow down.
the turbo works on flow, thats why a larger displacement engine makes more exhaust flow spooling a turbo faster.

That's why most turbo's are right off the manifold. yes NO, they are there because of space and they spool faster., it will run cooler back there, but your getting far less efficiency from it. Not really, it gets a much more even flow like a equal lenght manifold. Which although slower in spool (pending how far back it is) you gain more high end hp.

Then you have all that piping, do you have a IC? I hope you never scrap anything on the underside of the car. Boost leaks are going to plague you. He is not even above 7psi. He would be fine until he passes that. Plus he would only need a smaller ic because he is using a larger turbo at very little boost causing very little heat.

You can gain more performance from one of the E-ram electric superchargers over your setup. I really hope that was a joke. A large turbo flows way more cfm then a plastic fan
If you look at the pic, it loose like the back of the car, where the muffler was, the car doesn't look like a quattro, as I don't see any drive shafts.

Ok, yes, a turbo works off of exhaust flow. But the FLOW HAS TO BE MOVING FAST! As it cools, and moves away from the exhaust mani, it slows way down, and has less pressure on it. It's basic thermodynamics. This will spin the turbo slower, create much more lag, loose a lot of efficiency. Turbo's are mounted right off the exhaust mani to get max performance from it. Thats' where the gas is hottest, moves the fastest, and has the most pressure. Just about every turbo system out there is mounted off the exhaust mani. It's not for packaging, it's to get the least amount of lag, & to get the most efficiency. Also being way back there, it's also going to get the pulse waves from the exhaust, so it will get inconsistent pressure. Put your hand at the end of your exhaust, it's going to get pulsed, not a steady flow. The whole point of a equal length header, is to amplify the exhaust pulse wave, to create a low pressure area, that in turn pulls the exhaust gas out of the combustion chambers. It's has no applications on a turbo car, due to the turbo, cutting the exhaust pulse waves, and the turbo it's self forcing the gas out of the combustion chambers. Totally different theories.

Again from the pic, it looks like it's at the back of the car, so you have piping from the rear to the front, under the car. My point on the IC is this is not a finished system, and not very well thought out. Personally I would never go threw the trouble of adding a turbo to a car for 2psi. Hopefully there are plans to at least get to half a bar of boost.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear

Yes and no, the turbo works off of heat and back pressure. as the air enters the manifold the turbo traps the air creating back pressure. Meaning the pressure of the exhaust gas is higher than atmospheric pressure. A pressure and temperature drop occurs (expansion) across the turbine , which harnesses the exhaust gas’ energy to provide the power necessary to drive the compresso
It's a air pump, it works off of one gas spinning a wheel to compress gas on the other side. The gas on the turbine must be higher then the gas on the compressor.
The turbine wheel creates the back pressure, that pressure drop @ the wheel is what spins it. Gas moves from high pressure to low pressure. The pressure & heat from the exhaust help create a higher pressure differential, that's what helps spool the turbo faster. The pressure doesn't really need to be higher then atmospheric pressure, it just needs to be higher then the pressure on the other side of the turbo.

What happens when you add a downpipe? The turbo spools faster, right? It does so, due to less restriction on the other side, meaning there is less pressure build up on that side of the turbo, meaning there is going to be more flow, & a greater pressure differential.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM

yeah the turbo is spolled by a change in pressure over the blades. Reducing the pressure on teh aft side of the turbine will cause the pressure difference needed to occur faster therfore spooling the turbo faster.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: 2k S4
Personally I would never go threw the trouble of adding a turbo to a car for 2psi. Hopefully there are plans to at least get to half a bar of boost.

Looking at this pic

I dont see garrett or turbonetics on the comp housing. Also that looks like a ebay wastegate and i know that isa ebay filter. Im just curious what this "kit" is really composed of.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM

that is a pretty nasty lookin snail there. you could probably dry ten camels with a hairdryer that size. He does have a point boost dosnt mattter. Its all about cfm. the more air you put into the cilinder the more power. but bigger turbo produces the same cfm at low boost as a sml one at high boost

the only thing taht woud really bother me about this setup is that low hanging intake pipe

Old 03-12-2007, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Now what would be cool, is if someone went with the small turbine to spool up real fast, and that is connected to a big turbo to spool up quicker...all the power you need, haha, ok, temps would be high...but who cares, I just saved a bunch of money by switching my car insurance to Geico...Ok, I lie, but I did find out the Chevron by my house sells 100 octane gas...I thought that was pretty neat. Anyone know if I would notice if I filled up using it...30v 100% NA...Would be nice to see a little extra power

Old 03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear

that is a pretty nasty lookin snail there. you could probably dry ten camels with a hairdryer that size. He does have a point boost dosnt mattter. Its all about cfm. the more air you put into the cilinder the more power. but bigger turbo produces the same cfm at low boost as a sml one at high boost

the only thing taht woud really bother me about this setup is that low hanging intake pipe
There both needed. Think of it in terms of Volts & amps. You need the PSI to push the flow, of course the CFM is the amount of the flow. So if you have really high CFM but low pressure. THe cylinder charge will be much lower, and the air will get lazy & slow down even more in the intake track, in turn slow down the turbo. So you balance out the CFm with PSI, to push that air into the cylinders, do to the high CFM there is much more air in there, so the turbo will spin faster.

Back to the V & A. Think of a car stereo amp. They work off of 12v, that is the "pressure" of the power, this is what will "push" the flow of electrons. Then you have the Amps. This is the amount of flow. What happens when the radio is on, and you have a strong battery? It sounds great, but what happens as the battery starts to die, & goes lower then 12v? It sounds like crap, due to the lack of push on the low voltage. That's also why car radio's are louder when the car is running, it's now at 14.4v instead of 12v.

My point is, you need CFM & PSI in a symbiotic relationship.

Quick Reply: my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done