Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Oil or diesel ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
1st Gear
Default Oil or diesel ?

Hi
I have just purchased an a4 tdi 1996 and was taking it for a drive with the wife to her mothers and everything was fine.

Then on the way home i was on the m4 and something went a miss.

I got off the motorway and decided to park up and rev the car. A huge puff of white smoke came out the back just like a magician oooooo lol

As I’ve never had a diesel before I’m just wondering if fuel is leaking into the exhaust or if it’s the turbo (i think it’s the turbo as i’ve had the same on a mr2 but having never owned a diesel i’m just making sure before i jack the car up and fit a new one).

I’m still driving the car and its fine as long as i don’t rev it allot but when i park up and rev the magician comes back. So that leads me to beleave the seals have gone on the turbo as the turbo is still spooling.

I'll have the turbo outlet off tonight and test the play in the turbo but sat at work atm so just thought i would ask

Thanks allot
Gaz

Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

Well it was my first time working on a diesel last night and o my god how easy is it to work on the audi a4!!! The turbo is just there as soon as you open the bonnet!! everything is so easy to fix on these things and easy to get to compared to allot of cars i have worked on (try fitting a t3/4 turbo convertion on a MR2 turbo).

Well had a quick gleg at the turbo and oooo yes that’s the problem. There’s a fair amount of play in the turbo and also there’s allot of oil on the exhaust side. It's not totaly gone yet but on it's last legs.

Looks like a trip to the scrappy should fix that.