Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

True or False: Boost pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

Another way to look at this:

At any given boost and RPM, MAF depends on the backpressure it faces. Part of that comes from the turbo. So vtraudt’s gigantic compressed air reservoir would be ideal, as it generates no backpressure. But turbos need energy to pump the intake air at the required boost. They get that by choking the exhaust flow until the backpressure increment multiplied by the volume flow rate equals the power needed for their pumping. The more efficient the turbo, the less backpressure is required.

In practice, a turbo must be carefully matched to an engine’s operating range to assure that it operates, as much as possible but certainly for max power, within the high efficiency region of its compressor map. To improve response, twin turbos may be chosen, sometimes at the cost of minor efficiency loss.

For us tinkerers there are many ways to screw things up, because of the multitude of turbos on the market. Depending on one’s priority for drag strip, track or highway, more or bigger is not always better.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vonk
Another way to look at this:

At any given boost and RPM, MAF depends on the backpressure it faces. Part of that comes from the turbo. So vtraudt’s gigantic compressed air reservoir would be ideal, as it generates no backpressure. But turbos need energy to pump the intake air at the required boost. They get that by choking the exhaust flow until the backpressure increment multiplied by the volume flow rate equals the power needed for their pumping. The more efficient the turbo, the less backpressure is required.

In practice, a turbo must be carefully matched to an engine’s operating range to assure that it operates, as much as possible but certainly for max power, within the high efficiency region of its compressor map. To improve response, twin turbos may be chosen, sometimes at the cost of minor efficiency loss.

For us tinkerers there are many ways to screw things up, because of the multitude of turbos on the market. Depending on one’s priority for drag strip, track or highway, more or bigger is not always better.

word lol

Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Guru

You guys are arguing with one of the biggest jokes of the forum(my opinion). I thought he had finally left. Search his name and read some of his threads. Even when people with yrs of experience on a certain topic try and explain to him he is wrong he says the complete opposite.

Quit wasting your time

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo kraut
You guys are arguing with one of the biggest jokes of the forum(my opinion). I thought he had finally left. Search his name and read some of his threads. Even when people with yrs of experience on a certain topic try and explain to him he is wrong he says the complete opposite.

Quit wasting your time
thanks for the heads up man... didn't feel like being an ******* but i about kicked myself in the face reading some of this.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Tech Guru

Did you research his old threads? The ones he started mainly? I wanted to kick all you guys in the vagina. He's almost as bad as

Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

Even when people with yrs of experience on a certain topic try and explain to him he is wrong he says the complete opposite.
Please point to an example that justifies the quote.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

Quit wasting your time
Hey kraut, that's pretty harsh.

I know I am a pain, but only by asking questions and arguing do I learn.
In the science world, we call it 'challenging each other'.

At least I am not claiming to 'know it all'.

Don't concern yourself with ME wasting MY time.

If you have nothing to day: better stick to saying nothing. I sure as hell do NOT force you to reply to any of my post.

I started only a while back (from scratch) with 'learning' turbos. What would you say if I pull out some pre school material you produced and then blast to world that you are an idiot? Its called learning.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vtraudt
Hey kraut, that's pretty harsh.

I know I am a pain, but only by asking questions and arguing do I learn.
In the science world, we call it 'challenging each other'.

At least I am not claiming to 'know it all'.

Don't concern yourself with ME wasting MY time.

If you have nothing to day: better stick to saying nothing. I sure as hell do NOT force you to reply to any of my post.

I started only a while back (from scratch) with 'learning' turbos. What would you say if I pull out some pre school material you produced and then blast to world that you are an idiot? Its called learning.
truth

Old 12-25-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

this is not true ..................