Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Turbo Problems -- anyone know where to get a new turbo(s) cheap(er)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Default Turbo Problems -- anyone know where to get a new turbo(s) cheap(er)?

Hey Everyone,

I bought an 2002 a6 2.7 twin turbo about 6 months ago. I have a couple of questions and concerns if yall would mind sharing any of your knowledge - i don't know much about cars/engines. Anything is greatly appreciated as I would like to keep up with the reputation of owning such a great car.

1) I think I may have blown my the turbo for the lower RMPs. I just don't feel as much power (i don't feel the kick or hear the high pitched sound when i start the car) when I am in 1st or 2nd gear. For a illiterate car person, is there anything else that I can basically use to tell if I have done any damage?

2) If you have about $1000 what would you do performance-wise to make the car faster off the line, hence adding torque. Does anyone one know or is selling any used programmers/chips? how about any K05 turbos? I would like to make one major upgrade before my car hits 100,000 miles in about another 10,000 miles. What would you do?

3) How bad is redlining the car? When I am racing or pushing the limit I usually hit just the very beginning of the redline limit. Even though I replaced the timing belt when I got the car with 82,000 miles, what is the most major precaution i should be aware of when approaching the redline.

4) how much would it cost to get it tuned? and how exactly would i ask? are there different ways to tune your car? basically I would like the most 'sport' i could get. I want to be able to keep up with my guys M5.

5) my breaks squeal horrendously. I have been to two brake places and they say the pads have more than 50% of their life left...but they squeal as if they are completely gone. any tips to make this stop etc.

THANK YOU very much for any response. This has been a great car so far to me, its very well built and good...so i just want to make it last and be good to it in return.

Chris

Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Slut

you have a biturbo setup, so there are two equal sized turbos, one for each cylinder bank, rather than one small and one bigger, thats called a sequential setup... You may just be used to the power and thats why you feel it doesnt have such a kick anymore. Or something could be wrong. Personally I'd just get a giac chip and enjoy it. Thats definitly the best bang for your buck.

As for this high pitched sound when you started the car? did you have a loose belt or something lol cuz the turbos shouldnt really make any noises then.

The breaks could just need to be cleaned out, the rotors could be warped or grooved, or a set of noisy pads could be on there... not a big deal any wa you look at it, but it definitly is annoying i know that.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:46 AM
1st Gear

when my turbo went out i couldnt boost at all, the car just jerked around and wouldnt gain rpms. also had a ton of smoke comin out the tail pipes. i think with your 1k (if your turbos are fine) get a chip and down pipes but thats just my opinion. and i think you mean ko4 turbos and there are some floating around in the classifieds. but its gonna cost alot more than a grand to get them,supporting mods and install.