Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

what is the best hing to do first ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:39 PM
1st Gear
Default what is the best hing to do first ?

first off i'm looking for the best way to increase horsepower safely and most cost effect way

help

Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Default RE: what is the best hing to do first ?

car???

Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

'99 a4 quattro 1.8t i have already done the timming belt

Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 PM

well, you got the most basic is a chip. then comes a turbo.
or Nitro or cryon

dude you got options.

PS. There is no safe way to increase Horse Power, You always have to sacrifice something. Like your wallet, and longlife.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear

chip then exhaust dont forget to change that dv

Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Agreed on this stuff - keep in mind though that the chip is going to raise your boost pressure, so you want to make damn sure everything is in good shape. Take some time under the hood, remove the engine covers, check the condition of the hoses you can see and reach (not just vacuum/boost, but coolant as well - you don't want a meltdown). Make sure that vacuum lines are good and tight (zip-typing isn't a bad idea either, to lessen the risk of increased pressure blowing a hose off at an inopportune time).

Smart money would also be spent on a new fuel filter (cheap and worthwhile - if your filter is older and/or clogging somewhat, it can hinder fuel flow - sure-fire way to cause damage). And search here for the proper plugs to run - I'm new to the Audi world and have a 2.8 anyway, but running increased boost usually is accompanied by running a different temperature-range plug as well. I'd assume that's the case here as well.

After all of this, go get your chip. Keep in mind also that although you will make more power with the chip, when you free up the intake and exhaust sides of the engine (ie, high-flow air intake/filter, cat-back exhaust system, etc), you will allow the turbo to work more efficiently, and will gain additional power and more efficiency out of the engine, as you will allow it to ingest and egest that additional boost pressure more easily. Since an engine is really a glorified air pump, the easier it can inhale and exhale, the more efficiently (and productively) it will make power with additional modifications.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

Uh... New to Audi... But not new to cars or speed.. First upgrades should be brakes, suspension, tires.. Gotta control the power.. then air, fuel, ignition, etc

Old 02-16-2007, 03:38 AM
1st Gear

First thing you want to do is check your car out and make sure everything is running good/ sounds good. Once you're sure the car is in good shape, upgrade your brakes, then you should get a chip, then an intake, then an exhaust, then a DV, and fianlly, you're ready for a new turbo.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:40 AM
1st Gear

i was thinking about the upgrades too. I just got an audi 1 month ago and a ithought i wanted a chip, but the chip will only do so much plus if you upgrade the turbo you will need new injectors and a new chip, so i say do what im doing and save about $2000 and buy a turbo/chip/injectors and then definately an exaust next to allow the turbo to breathe easier. The stock brakes should be fine unless you drive like a madman everywhere.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

How do you figure that you're saving $2000 by not upgrading your brakes and buying a new diverter valve? Oh, and you can install the chip before or after you install the turbo. . you won't have to replace a new chip if you put the turbo in after the chip. . So, again, how do you figure you're saving $2000? Also, more power= more stress everytime you brake. . the brakes aren't that expensive and it's just a good idea to replace them with a decent sized turbo.