Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here a watch connoisseur?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Default Anyone here a watch connoisseur?

I know that in the past there have been some interesting threads about martial arts, guns, etc. Anyone here a watch lover? What are you wearing?

I wear a Fossil Arkitekt as a daily watch (nice looking watch for little money - I think it was $120 or so). I have a pair of Movados as well - one original anthracite museum watch (very thin, satin black, with the segmented band, bought in 92), and a silver Esperanza with a black face, bought in 95 or 96. Those are for nice occasions out. I have one very valuable watch in my safe deposit box at the bank - a Patek Philippe from the late 40s that was a gift from my uncle when I graduated high school. That one hasn't come out more than four times since 93 when I got it (I wore it to the funerals of both that uncle and his wife, and to my graduations from college) - I'm scared to death to wear it, in the event that I lost it, banged it against something and damaged it, etc.

My next one will be the Movado Valor round-face - I love that one, and it's somewhat affordable (I know I'm talking in relative terms here) at about $1300. I'm a big Movado fan anyhow, and I think that among genuinely classy and "respected" watch companies, such as them, Tag, etc, they make the nicest ones. They have some that are truly out of reach in price, but they have a lot of watches that, while expensive, are still attainable. I would like a Tag chronograph of some sort, but that'll be after the Valor.

Am I the only AFer that is into watches? Anyone else out there into them too? What kinds are you wearing or buying?

Old 04-26-2008, 09:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone here a watch connoisseur?

I have a handful of watches, about a dozen, and have a nice display case for them. I have a 52mm citizen titanium ecodrive that I wear most of the time but love the Rolex, have a very nice Raymond Weil, A cool stainless Breitling and a new Tissot that I am very fond of. I also have another plain citizen with a black face and an Architekt, too.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

I love watches. I have 2 arkitechts, one with the round blue face and one with a rectangular blue face, I have a Fossil Smoke IP Dial Twist that was a present from my fiancee, and i wear a Seiko Chronograph every day. I also have a Submariner that i save for very special occasions.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

A submariner huh? NICE. I don't blame you a bit for saving that. That's the same way I am with my Patek - only very special occasions. I'm too f'ing scared to wear it otherwise lol - knowing my luck, I'd be wearing it and some punk would try to mug me (not a good idea anyway lol) and make off with my $14,000 watch.

My Arkitekt is the round black-face, and I got it because for a $120 watch, it looks damn nice, more like a $250-300 watch. Plus I do like a heavier watch for daily use. It just feels more substantial.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

the Seiko is perfect for every day, and i had my mother pick it up for me from Kohl's with her employee discount. A 490 dollar watch ended up costing me just shy of 200. what a deal. I plan on buying another Seiko when i visit Japan in September

Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM

I love watches but on a student budget I basically just have 1 for everyday use which is a Fossil Blue with the steel gray face. It works for day to day use, I have one of my grandfathers old pocketwatches that I have to get fixed up one of these days.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 AM

I love watches and this is my daily watch that I wear. Some day I want a Cartier French Tank.

PRC200, This a great dress up and casual watch to sport.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Hell Ya! a watch Thread!!!

I love the look of the surf watches and here is what i rock every day

Name:  17528_medium.png
Views: 32
Size:  49.1 KB

this is a pretty rare bezel/band combo. found mine on a trip to New Zealand

Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Gear

My work watch I wear while I fly is a Suunto Vector with a Velcro band; right now, my only dress watch is a Hamilton Khaki Chrono with an E6B bezel. My next piece is going to be a Tissot Seastar 330. Eventually I'll work my way up to a Speedmaster or a Navitimer, but I can't justify that yet.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

My next Timepiece will be something a bit more comfortable. I forget who makes them but one of those Navy SEAL watches would be nice. Too lazy to research it right now

Quick Reply: Anyone here a watch connoisseur?