Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Talking

I have a question. If you catch me jaywalking across a street, would you punch me in the face?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Sorry for the delay answering I've been really sick lately.

Originally Posted by ChiTowNS401
I have a question. If you catch me jaywalking across a street, would you punch me in the face?
IF it what was going on in the video YUP!
Guy was 2 on one with multipul other people around posing a threat, I havent watched the full video just where it all started but 1st girl was resisting 2nd assult the officer...
Originally Posted by somebody5788
Gabriel Iglessia's is amazing! lmao

So how screwed am I? I'm being charged with resisting law enforcement..... Made a really really dumb mistake. It was late I wasn't thinking right and I kinda "followed the heard" in a way.
Depends on what you were charged with, no such thing as "resisting law enforcement" ether explain find the code or exact man of the charge.
Originally Posted by CCA4
I saw a ffx county fuzz the other day in a Camaro SS, pretty cool ride. How do they decide who gets to drive that and who doesn't? Have you ever gotten to drive a sweet interceptor? And why do they call 'em "fuzz" anyway?
Not really, souped up Dodge Charger once but only at a show. and no idea without google!

Originally Posted by pa4ul
how long is too long to wait for the k9 to come out. So if the cop smells something u can still deny him the search.
What is reasonable is roughly 10 mins thats the avg time it would take for me to write a citation and no if a k9 tips that alone is probable cause,

Old 06-19-2010, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

What's your opinion on radar detectors? Would you be more inclined to give the ticket if they had the good old microwave detector in the window?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AskAcop
Depends on what you were charged with, no such thing as "resisting law enforcement" ether explain find the code or exact man of the charge.
Thats exactly what it says

Old 06-20-2010, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ******** A4
What's your opinion on radar detectors? Would you be more inclined to give the ticket if they had the good old microwave detector in the window?
Don't bother me none they are legal where I am. We've discussed how detectors are not great at all so I think they suffer enough by wasting money on one!

Originally Posted by somebody5788
Thats exactly what it says
My fault on that one, during rushed searching I couldn't find it. Went back looked again in your state law and found.

Resisting law enforcement; mandatory sentence
Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) forcibly resists, obstructs, or interferes with a law enforcement officer or a person assisting the officer while the officer is lawfully engaged in the execution of the officer's duties;
(2) forcibly resists, obstructs, or interferes with the authorized service or execution of a civil or criminal process or order of a court; or
(3) flees from a law enforcement officer after the officer has, by visible or audible means, including operation of the law enforcement officer's siren or emergency lights, identified himself or herself and ordered the person to stop;
commits resisting law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (b).
(b) The offense under subsection (a) is a:
(1) Class D felony if:
(A) the offense is described in subsection (a)(3) and the

person uses a vehicle to commit the offense; or
(B) while committing any offense described in subsection (a), the person draws or uses a deadly weapon, inflicts bodily injury on or otherwise causes bodily injury to another person, or operates a vehicle in a manner that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person;
(2) Class C felony if, while committing any offense described in subsection (a), the person operates a vehicle in a manner that causes serious bodily injury to another person; and
(3) Class B felony if, while committing any offense described in subsection (a), the person operates a vehicle in a manner that causes the death of another person.
(c) For purposes of this section, a law enforcement officer includes an enforcement officer of the alcohol and tobacco commission and a conservation officer of the department of natural resources.
(d) If a person uses a vehicle to commit a felony offense under subsection (b)(1)(B), (b)(2), or (b)(3), as part of the criminal penalty imposed for the offense, the court shall impose a minimum executed sentence of at least:
(1) thirty (30) days, if the person does not have a prior unrelated conviction under this section;
(2) one hundred eighty (180) days, if the person has one (1) prior unrelated conviction under this section; or
(3) one (1) year, if the person has two (2) or more prior unrelated convictions under this section.
(e) Notwithstanding IC 35-50-2-2 and IC 35-50-3-1, the mandatory minimum sentence imposed under subsection (d) may not be suspended.
As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.61; Acts 1979, P.L.83, SEC.11; P.L.188-1984, SEC.1; P.L.325-1987, SEC.1; P.L.248-1993, SEC.1; P.L.13-1998, SEC.1; P.L.143-2006, SEC.2.
Any way you look at it it's a felony! Good luck! convicted right or bear arms, right vote, and more GONE.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

My valentine1 has saved me a bunch of times, I agree laser is laser but the thing works great on radar

Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM
4th Gear

can a cop walk in your backyard ?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 AM
1st Gear

[1]Where can I find my state law for tint plates etc. ? I went to my state site but the laws are in a ten billion page pdf file that I cant seem to find any real information in.

[2]If I have my conceal carry license or Im coming back from the range and get pulled over with a gun in my front seat. I am within my legal right, right? How should I handle the situation? I feel like if he walks up and there is a gun next to me that looks bad, and if Im fumbling with a gun trying to jam it in the glove box that looks worse, and if Im yelling out my window that I have a gun hes likely to open fire on me and my car. I dont want it to be misconstrued as a weapon even though it is.

[3]Whats your stand on the reform of marijuana laws? If you dont want to answer this one I understand, just curious.

Last edited by DPK2313; 06-22-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ******** A4
My valentine1 has saved me a bunch of times, I agree laser is laser but the thing works great on radar
+1 here...just not the valentine1, most definitely saved me at least once, it paid for itself. Everything else is bonus. hardly a waste of money imo.

I don't use mine exclusively for speeding, but I do use it to remind me to look and see what I am doing from time to time. I've never seen anything but Ka band in this part of the country.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
can a cop walk in your backyard ?
Yes, with a reason. Can he just be out for a midnight walk thru peoples back yards no. But any probable cause YUP! Something as little as loud music at a party is plenty for him to take a stroll around your yard.

Originally Posted by DPK2313
[1]Where can I find my state law for tint plates etc. ? I went to my state site but the laws are in a ten billion page pdf file that I cant seem to find any real information in.

No joke Ohio has one of the BEST online law sites I have come across! all motor vehicle stuff will be here! By "tint plate" I'm guessing you mean the smoke cover plastic that goes over your license plates? if so check out
4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.
[2]If I have my conceal carry license or Im coming back from the range and get pulled over with a gun in my front seat. I am within my legal right, right? How should I handle the situation? I feel like if he walks up and there is a gun next to me that looks bad, and if Im fumbling with a gun trying to jam it in the glove box that looks worse, and if Im yelling out my window that I have a gun hes likely to open fire on me and my car. I dont want it to be misconstrued as a weapon even though it is.

Is the gun loaded? If so if has to be on your person not laying loose in the car. If not, it needs to be transported in the manner stated by law. A ccw allows nothing more than it to be on you out of site and loaded. AND for the love of god if you don't want shot don't touch it!

[3]Whats your stand on the reform of marijuana laws? If you dont want to answer this one I understand, just curious.

I don't smoke and it in no way benfits me. Just one more thing I will have to deal with do to it is considered OVI