Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AskAcop
Fastest I've locked in was 136 in a 45
Wow, and with a kid in the car? What a fail. :facepalm:

So is there such a thing as "jurisdiction" when police officers are involved in a chase, or is all the movie stuff about making it to the state line just for suspense?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pa4ul
If i get a ticket for no front plate and have it in the car can they still write a ticket. It was in my windshield and the cop said it had to be in the most upfront part of the car.
State laws vary. But most states that do have front plate laws require the plate to be located on the front of the vehicle and not in a window.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Wow, and with a kid in the car? What a fail. :facepalm:

So is there such a thing as "jurisdiction" when police officers are involved in a chase, or is all the movie stuff about making it to the state line just for suspense?
There are jurisdictional rules, but not like make it to the state line and he gets away. Movies overplay that a lot. One thing that is common is to let the current jurisdiction take lead in the pursuit since it's their area.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

what equipment do you use for catching speeders? laser? radar? both? do jammers work?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by pa4ul
If i get a ticket for no front plate and have it in the car can they still write a ticket. It was in my windshield and the cop said it had to be in the most upfront part of the car.
Funny story:

I got pulled over, once, for similar. Had my rear plate in teh rear window b'cuz the tools where I lived at the time thought *I* was a cop, because my Security Officers' uniform required a Gold Shield (in VA... in MD they wear silver shields), so they used to sometimes tear my rear plate off (my apt was directly above where they used to deal from) and toss it across the parking lot, whenever they were loaded, I guess. Idiots. If I rilly wer a cop they'd've been busted so many times over it wudn't've been funny. But, I'm a live-and-let live kinda guy. It was annoying but, until I got pulled over, it wasn't much more than that.

So, anyway, I get pulled over in VA (I live in MD, work in VA, travel throo DC to get there) because my plate is in my rear window and the cop tells me they have it on th ebooks where it HAS TO be *mounted* to the rear-most, outer portion of a vehicle. While he's runnin my license he discovers that VA had suspended my license (I live in MD, remember, not VA) and never bothered to send me a notice.

While they cudn't *actually* suspend my license, they cud suspend my legal ability to operate a vehicle on public roads in VA, which is what they basically did.

Cop dint give me a ticket, since it was in his computer that they had never sent me a notice, but, he wudn't let me drive away, either. Hadda calla friend to come and drive me the rest of the way to work. (I took a chance and drove myself home, well after that cop wudda finished his shift and gone hoime to momma)

Rest of story:
Paid the parking fine that caused Va to hate me.
Started callin it in everytime I knew for a fact they were slingin dope, downstairs. Ended up with bullet holes in my car, car keyed, more license-plate shenanigans.
Got jumped by 3 guys in teh stairwell about a year later; beaten, kicked, stomped... They hadda sew my ear back to the side of my head at the emergency-room... Left for dead in a 3-ft pool of my own blood (there's pics up, around here, somewhere). Managed to pickmyself up, get to a phone and call in my own bam-bulance.
I moved away from that apartment complex.

Bottom line: In VA, you hafta have your plate MOUNTED to teh outside of your vehicle.

...next time, I'll tell you guys about all the felony-stops I was forced to endure when I bought my A8 from a dealer in Chi-town and drove it home to MD, all because IL does this dinky little paper tag taped to teh inside of the rear-window, instedda paper-temp-tags that go where normal tags do, as they do in MD/VA/DC. Two weeks until I got a perm tag.

hey, ask-a-cop guy, please explain the difference between a *felony* stop and a traffic stop, why doncha.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Felony Stop

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 05-18-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Traffic stop
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=ZS2SFVfRBu
LOL I'll let him explain but thought that was funny!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

VA has very specific laws about where the plate must be. I know a lot of outstate people who think the windshield is a fine place, but VA cops will nail you for it.

VA law says that the front plate which is required must be within 15 inches of the most front part of the vehicle. And the same applies for the rear plate.

However, you can get away with mounting it to your air dam, nothing says it has to be visible. You just can't have a colored cover over it.

The Hampton Roads and Richmond Car Club Council challenged the state once in 2004 over this.

A lot of Corvette, F-Body and classic car guys don't want plates mounted to the front of their car, the air dam is reasonable.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
Felony Stop
Gosh that wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
hey, ask-a-cop guy, please explain the difference between a *felony* stop and a traffic stop, why doncha.
Crazy story!
A traffic stop is your everyday stop walk up hi how ya doing heres your ticket for blah blah.

A felony take down as they are referred to in my area, consist of pulling you over, staying at my car and ordering you out of the car at gun point.

This here is a really good example of a felony stop. Not Rodney King!
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=57OIJS7bpEo

and a personal fav.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=yv4tKv4gG9E

Last edited by AskAcop; 05-18-2010 at 02:05 PM.