Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car seats??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear
Default Car seats??

As many may know, I recently had a baby girl. She was my first, so I dont really know crap. We bought a car seat, but the instructions dont really say anything about installing it in a truck. Since it is a single cab, it would have to go in the front. Also, in the middle of the bench seat due to the seatbelt layout. I can turn off the passenger airbag, so my question is can car seats go in the front seat of a truck?? I called the manufacturer, and could not get a straight answer (like they didnt know themselves).

Since we are unsure, we never drive the truck anywhere if we have to take the baby. If we all have to go somewhere and need the truck (Home Depot, etc..) then we take two cars. Thats getting pretty old. Anyone know?? Thanks much!!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Car seats??

Probably not the best idea in the world. If you are unable to put the kid seat in the back seat of your other vehicle and have to put it in the truck. I would recommend placing it in the RIGHT seat area, and not the center. If the driver's airbag blows, it still could end up impacting the kid seat if it was in the center position. Oh - and also - the kid seat goes in so the kid faces BACKWARDS. Obviously, turn off the passenger airbag.

Time to trade in that single-cab for a crew-cab. There will be another little one before you know it.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:52 PM
4th Gear

Congrats on the newborn, mate!

It mostly depends on yout local state laws - but if you do put in the carseat in the truck - DISENGAGE the passenger airbag. This should have stickers everywhere on the truck about that.

Also engage the lock on the seatbelt. This is achieved by fully extending the seatbelt from the spool. You will hear a "click" then it will click back until you have the proper tension to hold the seatbelt. Btw, do this AFTER you lock it down... lol... took a few tries myself to learn that maneuver... lol.. but you probably know that already.

Good luck, mate!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I turned the airbag off, and I heard that ford will install an anchor system, usually for free at the dealer. So I am gonna check into that tomorrow.