Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Could you afford $175k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Could you afford $175k?

War? Personally I won't chime in on whether Iraq was for the right or wrong reasons. Honestly I think the right reason is so that we have an experienced, battle hardended military... as long as it remains voluntary. Who's *** should we kick next?

As for a prez... who the hell has the cahonies to kick all these illegals out of my back yard, put up a fence and stop using my tax dollars to pay for their crap?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

I agree, illegal immigration is a major issue and needs to be dealt with. But to stick to the OP, remember: those who control a nation's economy control its politics as well. Our government very well does not have control of our economy, so ask yourself: who does?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: heloman28

I agree, illegal immigration is a major issue and needs to be dealt with. But to stick to the OP, remember: those who control a nation's economy control its politics as well. Our government very well does not have control of our economy, so ask yourself: who does?

Whats that scary statistic?? Something like 5% of the population controls 95% of the wealth??

Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
1st Gear

The key is to be part of the 5%... its a dog eat dog world.

I honestly don't know who really controls the money. Everything in the world seems to be shrouded behind a smokescreen so you never really whats really going on or what to believe. But I think Wilcox could be on the right track! Starbucks could be the root of all evil. I think I'll have another non-fat decaf latte please!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Swaynest

I would agree that Going into the war was for the wrong reasons but i would not say it was a HUGE mistake... something needed to be done for 2 major reasons

1)to secure the region which is vital to our economy (oil) and

2)could have developed in to an even larger hotbed of terrorist activity. IMO it was either our generation pay for it now or future generations pay even more for it later.
Actually, you're still misinformed, mate.

It is not our responsibility to secure that region. We cannot willingly go into another country and take it over - which in this case we did, under false pretenses in hopes that we would find WMD's and justify of course of action. Oil is crucial to our economy and if we go that route -what's stopping us from tackling Venezuela???

Your second is utterly untrue - dictators hate rebel causes and vice-versa. Why? Because they are usually the reason they become rebels in the first place. Sadam had little to no ties with Osama. The only thing Sadam was doing was suppressing his own people and trying to rebuild a shattered military strength.

Then again, it really is not the United States' problem to police up countries. That's what the UN is for.

We are making a select few companies mega stinking rich whilst you, I and every other American pays their tab.

Heloman's got a point. Currently the world market (mostly China and Europe) carries the US debt. This is a crucial thing considering if they demand payment the US is screwed.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Swaynest

I would agree that Going into the war was for the wrong reasons but i would not say it was a HUGE mistake... something needed to be done for 2 major reasons 1)to secure the region which is vital to our economy (oil) and 2)could have developed in to an even larger hotbed of terrorist activity. IMO it was either our generation pay for it now or future generations pay even more for it later.

WRONG! Going into Iraq WAS a HUGE mistake. On an unbelievably colossal scale. Tell me, anyone, what have we done there??? I don't mean find some shed w/ X-amount of suplies to build bombs, or bullsh!t like that. You wanna know what we've REALLY done??? We ended the very situtation that we are currently trying to duplicate to no avail- Stabilty and reign. Say what you want about Saddam, and how he was a tyrant, so on and so forth, but you know what??? Saddam did what noone else, especially us, can- Provide leadership and unify a land that is so war-torn from over-zealous religious fanatics and violent opposition between different sects, that there is no chance in hell we will be able to match those results, let alone better them. So Suddam is now dead. And thecountry he left behind is now a violence-ridden wastelandthat stands no chance of returning to state it once was.Hurray for us. And now, in our pathetic attempt to gain control over Iraq,what we are succeeding in doing is running up our nation's debt, puttingfresh out high-schoolSoldiers in the ground, and worsening an already grim situation that we caused in the first place. We're now left w/ a worsening economy, a undermanned and underfinanced Military, and a huge hole that we somehow feel the need to dig ourselves out of on account of some non-existent obligation to Iraq.

So in summary, we have spend billions of dollars and thousands of human lives to due nothing more than create a cultural dependence on us by the Iraqi people.Meanwhile Osama is still at large, and illegal immigrants are putting American citizens out of work and helping lead to the crime, overpopulation, etc, etc problems that SHOULD be the top priorityof our Government. Washingtonis in desparate need of a reality check. And unlessYOU the people do what's in your power to provide that, things aren't gonna change anytime soon.....

Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Palindariā„¢

It is not our responsibility to secure that region. We cannot willingly go into another country and take it over - which in this case we did, under false pretenses in hopes that we would find WMD's and justify of course of action. Oil is crucial to our economy and if we go that route -what's stopping us from tackling Venezuela???

Your second is utterly untrue - dictators hate rebel causes and vice-versa. Why? Because they are usually the reason they become rebels in the first place. Sadam had little to no ties with Osama. The only thing Sadam was doing was suppressing his own people and trying to rebuild a shattered military strength.

Then again, it really is not the United States' problem to police up countries. That's what the UN is for.

We are making a select few companies mega stinking rich whilst you, I and every other American pays their tab.

Heloman's got a point. Currently the world market (mostly China and Europe) carries the US debt. This is a crucial thing considering if they demand payment the US is screwed.
I am pretty sure the only "informed" people are people who have studied the region exstensivly and unless you are a high ranking government official with top secret clearance or a College prof. that has been studing the region for decades then I dont understand how you can say that I am uniformed. If you are one of the two of the above mentioned things then I will concede. I have always said that my comments are my IMO. I dont pretend to know everything about everything but I base my opinionon what I have learned and the research I have done.

That being said I feel it is our responsiblityto go in and secure the region for our children and our childrens children.Regardless of the dictatorswhich were/arehorrible and commited many crimes the diffrence in ideals would have enventually led to a bigger problem. What stops us from tackling Venezuela is the leadership of Venezuela. He hasn't given us and excuse to go after them. If he had been a part of documented crimes against humanity and tried to invade one of his neighbors then we would definatly have military men and women there.

Dictators can also be sympathetic to rebel causes if they feel it will help them in the long run. How do you know what ties Sadam had with Osama? Whether they were in cahots or not the region is a hotbed of terrorism. By region I include Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Afganistan, Israel,and Lebenon.

As always this is based on my knowledge and reaserch I have done on my own. If you feel you are better informed then great I would love to continue to hear your OPINION. Now with that being said I am gong to go get **** drunk! CHEERS!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah but we spent a good chunk of that money building the worlds most powerful military. No countrys ever gonna try and collect that debt.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear

This thread makes me so sad. I don't have the time or dedication needed to refute every idiotic and poorly informed declaration I just read, that is not to say all statements were idiotic or uninformed. Still, this thread just makes me so very sad. Ah well, **** it, I'm off to write my manifesto.
Id have to agree with that. And the worst part is that we have so many other and in my opinion far more important issues ie heathcare.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
1st Gear

I would re-iterate that I think its a huge advantage for us to have a battle hardened and experienced military, and it was important to take some action after the terrorists attacks we experienced here on our own soil, but question certainly can be raised as to the validity of the actions taken, which in turn has had a huge impact on the defecit.

We definitely have enough issues we need to focus on and address here domestically. The defecit, national securiy, illegal immigration, and healthcare being at the top of the list IMO.

Maybe we could charge all the illegals $175k as a one time fee to get a green card. Pay or get out. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Could you afford $175k?