Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expensive Parts Covered by Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear
Default Expensive Parts Covered by Insurance?

I've heard, but not confirmed that things other than insurance claims and traffic violations can make your rates go up, such as racing or painting your car a "flashy" color. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Also I'd like to know if it would be beneficial to me to let my insurace company know about upgraded replacement parts to be installed on my car, such as a FMIC, CF hood, and a big turbo. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks a month to have these parts covered in my policy but I don't want my car to be placed in a higher risk category because of them.

Does anyone have any idea how to protect these investments other than the obvious, "Drive carefully"?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
5th Gear

Depends on the insurance company, dude.
Most are not mod-friendly.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

my insurance guy has never even asked ever if the car was moded in any way shape or form, while insurance companies are not mod friendly, you agent is there to help you save money to insure you don't go some where else, at leaste mine is.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, but them not asking you doesn't mean they are mod friendly.
It seems very possible that you might find yourself in a situation where you've been in an at fault accident, and they are looking for ways to deny part/all of your claim. They find performance modifications on your wrecked car, and they've potentially got a way out.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Administrator

I'm with State Farm, and have always been told that as long as I have the receipts for the mods on the car, they're covered. I've never had to test that thankfully, but I can say that after I had finished a lot of the work on my Z, I had new pics taken and brought in receipts for lots of the parts, so that it was certified that those parts were on the car. Call 'em up and ask - it can't hurt. Just tell them you're a current client of theirs (you don't have to give your name) and just want to know their policies for modifications.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 AM
2nd Gear

Good advice guys, thanks. I'll give GEICO a call and see what they say. If they won't cover that, is there another company that can provide coverage just for my mods?

Also, is it possible or likely that an insurance company would increase your rates if your car is used for track racing?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 AM
1st Gear

hahahahahaha too funny

Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 AM

I didnt had good experience with my insurance company regarding replacing expensive car parts

-Latitude
German Autos Blog

Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

Update: Just got my CF hood, RS4 grille, and Depo Headlights added to my policy. Only an extra $4.68 per month. I think I can live with that for the peace of mind that goes along with it.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
5th Gear

good thing i don't have anything worth putting on my insurance and paying more lol

Quick Reply: Expensive Parts Covered by Insurance?