Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 puts engine technology on hold

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM
18T
4th Gear
Default F1 puts engine technology on hold

discuss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/4831706.stm

Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: F1 puts engine technology on hold

In most sports the so-called "breakaway" plans rarely work. In this case, I see that as very unfortunate. The F in F1 should stand for "fun" or "fast" not "fascist".

F1 doesn't just need to enforce spending caps to increase participation, size and competition in the series. It needs to demonstrate to everyone that it can learn to cooperate with the current participants in the series. The current heads of F1 make Saudi royals seem like enlightened liberal democrats. [>:]

Old 03-23-2006, 02:16 AM
18T
4th Gear

i just dont undesrtand why they would freeze 3 years. would benefit everyone if they didnt.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:28 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: 18T

i just dont undesrtand why they would freeze 3 years. would benefit everyone if they didnt.

I don't know about that. Some of the slower/less funded teams MAY be able to produce an engine that is comperable to what the top teams run in 3yrs time - if they are all limited in a number of ways. Then again, the cream always rises to the top and Ferrari will always be faster than Minardi no matter what rules are written. What is coming next is a single spec engine. I think the IRL all have to run Honda engines this year. How boring is that? It is perfect for how boring IRL is, but I wouldn't like to see that kind of thinking spread.

Along those same lines, teams are already buying engines from previous years from the top teams. With this practice and a 3yr hold, we could conceivably see more parity in the series, but again I think this is flawed thinking at best and a pipe dream at worst.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:59 AM
3rd Gear

I think they should relax a few odf the regulations. As it is everything ends up the same, the only difference being your budget. There is no scope for imaginative engineering, like the 6 wheeled Tyrell, or the ground effect fan car!

Give the engineers some scope to be creative, and lets see what happens!

Old 03-23-2006, 03:38 AM
Senior Administrator

I agree with Toff. Let F1 once again reflect the bleeding edge of technology... Vive la geekineers

Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 AM
18T
4th Gear

Thats what i was thinking. Let it reflect the "bleeding" edge of techonology. (very nice choice of words AWD)

Old 03-23-2006, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

they should take it back to nothing but a weight and a capacity limit.
every time a team thinks something up it gets scrubbed damn fast

Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: 18T

Thats what i was thinking. Let it reflect the "bleeding" edge of techonology. (very nice choice of words AWD)
Thanks. I stole it from a discussion I heard about Formula 1 racing technology, about 25 years ago when I was in high-school. I think it was from the Flying Scotsman (and one of teh NEST drivers EVER!!!), Jackie Stewart. It seemed appropriate, given teh topic.

ORIGINAL: mtr005

every time a team thinks something up it gets scrubbed damn fast
That's because everytime someone thinks up something new they dominate for a season or two until somebody "else" comes up with a counter *new* thing to even the playing field. But that only evens teh field for one team. Meanwhile the other 8-10 teams are left sucking hind-teat. Its GREAT for automotive technology, but it makes poor racing when one team starts lapping teh field. So, any innovations that breakthrough are legislated OUT in the name of fair play. The trick nowadays is to come up with incremental innovations that give you a step up, not a LEAP ahead. Mores the pity.

Maybe if they went "open-source" on the technology front. Mandated that everything be "shared." They, teams could take somebody elses great idea (maybe pay a licensing fee for it) and incorporate it into THEIR ride. Maybe even improve on it... We need someone to "lawyer" it up, but you guys get where I'm going with this... Comments?