Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

The Homebrew Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

Whats the 5th food group? Or is it also beer, because after drinking since breakfast, you're starting to get double vision?

Since it only involves a 5 gallon bucket and a hose, I'm gonna make some hard cider until I can get the funds together for a beer setup. Whats a good yeast that you'd normally use for brewing beer? It'll probably work well for cider as well (I hope)

Old 10-09-2008, 01:26 PM
3rd Gear

My dad makes dank hard cider. We own an apple farm with about 100 acres, and we also press our own cider. Every year he fills up old oak wiskey barrels with cider, molasses, and whatever other goodies your supposedto put in then we ferment them. He trys different kinds of apples and stuff for different flavors and sweetnesses. Basically we have a bunch of em fermenting at the same time and we tap them one at a time.

OBv we cant sell it but there are plenty of friends who come by for hard cider. You can also take a 5 gallon bucket of hard cider and put it outside in the winter, pull the ice off the top as it freezes each night and you end up with a concentrated Apple flavor hard alcohol. **** yeah.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

The fifth food group is Pizza. Duh!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
5th Gear

yeah, i don't eat much pizza. Me and dairy don't get along.

As for the HARD hard cider. Yeah, one year I froze off the water on a small batch I made. Went from a half gallon to about 2 shots of crystal clear alcohol. Oh god did that stuff burn goin down.

Its getting harder to get FRESH cider. We used to have a place we could go to that would press your apples for you. Then they were told they couldn't because it wasn't pasteurized.

But back on topic, favorite yeast, or does it not matter?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member

different styles call for different yeasts. I'll get into that when I have a bit more time. stuck at work doing unpaid overtime. awesome, huh?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM
SoCal Crew Member

White labs makes great yeast: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew.html

I've always turned out great beers with their strains.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM
5th Gear

nice, they have a cider yeast too!

You should start listing links that show up in this thread in your original post.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:11 AM
SoCal Crew Member

good call. just took care of it.

I'll find other useful links and throw up some more info tomorrow. I'm heading to my old house tomorrow to get my kit. I'm pretty excited.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:26 PM
5th Gear

I'm gonna go find some fresh cider and a couple clean 5 gallon buckets later today. It'll hold me over until I can get the fam to buy me beer stuff for Christmas. Gotta say though, Im a little excited myself. We're talking about alcohol, this is gonna be the next big thread, right up there with the cleavage thread, the word association and whatnot.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:39 PM
6th Gear

mmmm alcohol. See I was taught one way to make hard cider. Take regular apple cider, add Rum put in crock pot, drink warm. MMMMMMM so delicious after a day of skiing to warm you up

Quick Reply: The Homebrew Thread