Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interwebz.. so close but so far :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:19 AM
5th Gear
Default interwebz.. so close but so far :(

new neighbors have unencrypted wifi, i can connect, but i cant actually get online. never had a problem with any other network. any ideas? this is my chance to get away from doing all my browsing on my phone.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by achTTung
new neighbors have unencrypted wifi, i can connect, but i cant actually get online. never had a problem with any other network. any ideas? this is my chance to get away from doing all my browsing on my phone.

get your own interwebz?

offer to pay them a few bucks a month to be able to use their connection?

are you using vista or xp?
try identifying the network as a home network......

how good is the signal strength?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 AM
5th Gear

im home and awake about an hr and a half a day. i cannot justify paying $45/month on a service im not at home to use. paying the neighbor money will not fix a issue of not being able to utilize a non encrypted network either. im running xandros, an offshoot of debian linux, and the worst signal i've seen was 77%. I've connected to much worse. also, the times i have paid for service, i have not encrypted the network so that people can do just what i am. using the bandwidth im not. i mention this because you seem opposed to using someones network like this. not everyone feels like that. i'd have to imagine if they were, they'd simply click the box to use a password.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear

i never said i was opposed to it....

i played xbox on a neighbors internet connection for a long time (at an apartment)

as a matter of fact, my network isnt password protected, but my house is on a farm, you have to be in my driveway to use it (neighbors are very far away) LOL

debian linux, your single arent you?

KIDDING!

maybe they just have the network, and dont actually have internet connection?
cause i often have to reset my modem (damn comcast cable anyway) but you can easily connect to my network, just cant get online....pisses my wife off....lol

Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
5th Gear

debian is a well respected system! spent many hrs trying to figure out windows systems, rarely have a problem with linux. the no internet thing is a possibility i hadnt thought of. could have the computer/router set up, but still no service activated. they are new to the apartment... now... how to get access to the basement and splice their cable to my place.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 AM
2nd Gear

yeah, im gonna say that most likely since they are new, they havent ahd the internet service hooked up yet

Mission: Covert Basement Cable Spilcing
do you accept the mission?
ahhahahah

let us know how it turns out

Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 AM
5th Gear

i has rg6 and rj45 termination tools. i can splice cable and internet lines... :P