Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

My test drive in a bmw 335I TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:57 PM
18T
4th Gear
Default RE: My test drive in a bmw 335I TT

ORIGINAL: KiloByte
Do you not consider the RS4 to be a luxory car?
Its not a luxury car at all . Its the RS line.

You might be able to get what "some" people call "luxury" options when you buy it, but its not a luxury car. Same thing with RS6 , same thing with M3 .. and so on.

If one wants luxury they should get a MB S series. like a 500 or 550

Old 09-17-2006, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: KiloByte

Hehe no spare tire? What is it with luxory car companies always douching on the simplest of features?
I don't know if it's luxury cars as much as performance cars not having them. M5s don't have them either, they come with this thing called an "M-Mobility Kit". Basically a can of Fix-A-Flat and a 12v air pump.

My guess is that they figure on a few things when deciding not to include a spare...

A) The type of buyer for these cars is usually the high-end type, the ones who either wouldn't know how or wouldn't want to chanc their own flat out, and are very likely to just call a tow truck, even if they did have a spare in the car.

B) The type of buyer is often a vain person would wouldn't want to be seen dead with a donut on their car, and there is not room for a full-size spare. Vain, I know, but I've heard people say just that.

C) Even if there was room for a full-size spare, many of the cars in question with no spares have directional tires, sometimes with different sizes on front and back, meaning that a full-size spare would be a match for only one corner of the car.

D) Spare tires were an absolute requirement back in the days of yore, but these days with all of the available roadside assistance programs and the fact that virtually every single driver of BMWs, Audis, and other high-end cars is going to have a cell phone today. It's much much harder to get stranded these days. Sure there are still some situations where you could have a problem becuse of a lack of a spare like middle of nowhere, low traffic, no reception areas, but those are the exception for most people, not the norm.

That's just my guess though. I still don't think that it's worth screwing up the handling with run-flats though. The M5 didn't have run-flats so it benefitted from good performance tires AND the lessened weight of no spare.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear

I wonder if u could order the 335i without the runflats?

Runflats are the exact opposite of what BMW stands for, they make the car and steering heavier and less responsive[:@]

Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 PM
18T
4th Gear

i cant wait till jeremy clarckson gets his hands on this car. would love to hear what he has to say.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: MICHAELMARC

I wonder if u could order the 335i without the runflats?

Runflats are the exact opposite of what BMW stands for, they make the car and steering heavier and less responsive[:@]
BMW likes heavy steering, but it should be because the tires are gripping, not because of bad valving and huge unsprung weights in the from.

Less responsive is right though, but it seems like that's what BMW wants, again, to entive Mercedes drivers over to the other side, and Mercedes drivers are used to huge unresponsive tug-boats.

At this point, I'm even worried about the new M-Roadster. If it (as I suspect) drives like an SLK55, that's going to be a huge disappointment. But since the 335i drives like that crap-*** CLK350, the 545i drives just like the crap-*** E450, and the 760i drives worse than an S55, I don't see any reason that the M-Roadster won't be more of the same. Maybe, just maybe the M-division will keep their wits about them and keep the name alive with good cars, but since the new M5 dropped the ball, I wouldn't put money on it.

"Ultimate Driving Machine" no longer applies. There's no easier win for Audi. Rather than have to improve their cars to keep up with BMW, now they can sell crap if they want and it will still be better than the uber-crap that BMW is making.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:05 AM
5th Gear

The M5 is getting a 6 speed though, right? I mean a good 6 speed... manual gearbox. That'll fix it's biggest problem, no?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear

Wouldnt mind seeing Clarkson drive a 335i into a pool like he did with that old Rolls Royce
http://www.topgear.com/content/timet...ctions/videos/

SilverSeven speaking of the stoush b/w Audi & BMW (not sure if u guys have seen this):
Heres wat BMW started with:

[IMG]local://upfiles/17795/EF2940E2D7F447E48848818441287BB2.gif[/IMG]

Audi's comeback

[IMG]local://upfiles/17795/EC06F06E3FD44C088E885CB5954791C7.gif[/IMG]

If BM has to resort to putting Audi down publicly, then BM must think that Audi really is a threat![sm=badbadbad.gif]

Didnt mean to steal the thread, but just thought it was relevant fellas

Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

The M5 is getting a 6 speed though, right? I mean a good 6 speed... manual gearbox. That'll fix it's biggest problem, no?
The SMG is THE biggest problem, but that's like pointing out the hardest punch you've taken in a title bout. There are lots of things wrong with it that make it a less than expected car, a car that's not really up to par with world class performance sedans, much less holding up the old M5's title of THE world class performance sedan. The handling is sketchy, the seating position feels even more upright than my truck and inspires no confidence, the power is not at all what you would expect from those kinds of numbers, the understated class is long gone, and the interior is just barely equal with other cars in the mid-size class. The SMG is what knocks the car down from slightly disadvantaged, to utter trash.

ORIGINAL: MICHAELMARC

If BM has to resort to putting Audi down publicly, then BM must think that Audi really is a threat!
I like those ads, both of them, but I think you're taking them a little too seriously maybe. They seem more like college jabs at each other, not really intended to be insulting, more fun than anything else. After all, BMW had an ad poking fun at the new VW Rabbit, and they OBVIOUSLY don't feel threatened by that car.