Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spammers are bad, but scammers are worse

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Slut
Default Spammers are bad, but scammers are worse

So I found a set of knockoff Bride Cuga reps for $120. Very nice adjustable racing seat, and even the knockoffs go for about 500.
So I began PMing with the guy as I was very much ready to buy them. He says he can ship them for $80 and everything was looking good so far. I then ask what brakets/sliders were on them, and he replies, "oh I just ordered some for your car, not universal ones, that I'll throw in for no extra charge." This throws a few red flags right away, but he said he had a "hookup" for them so I was still willing to play along.
Then I ask what his paypal email is, to which he replies something along the lines of "My bank doesnt allow me to use paypal with them due to some gay policy bs." So of course he wants a money order. Well **** that. I've never heard of a bank that doesnt support paypal.
So to top it off, I find the exact pics that hes using on a Honda forum thread from like 2 years ago. So I dug around and warned everyone else that seemed to be interested in them. They all had basically the same experience, and apparently like 3 of them had pending sales with him. Glad I was able to stop that before people lost out.
JUST A FRIENDLY WARNING GUYS. USUALLY THINGS THAT ARE TO GOOD TO BE TRUE ARE JUST THAT.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Wow! Good thing you're smart and have some experience with Scammers and could avoid being stolen.

That's not what happened to me a few years ago, when I first start buying things online, I gladly sent the money via Western Union for a $300 phone, and never heard about the guy ever again. Not fun, but I had to pay to gain experience.

Thank you for warning us and sharing your history... I hate scammers too!