Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

things i've noticed after lowering

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default things i've noticed after lowering

98.5 A4 2.8qm
midpipe-back Remus exhaust
H&R Sport Springs
Bilstein grooved shocks

awesome upgrade. tightned up the suspension alot, and the ride quality is nearly the same. Ride height looks alright on stock 16's...but I'm gonna let the springs break in and settle all the way...then drop it more with the grooved shocks

Things I've noticed:

1)Bye-bye bodyroll: Wow, I took it on some narrow twisties near me and all I gotta say is, wow. It's almost to the point of being on rails...atleast compared to non-sport stock. I notice coming out of turns that there isn't that feeling of the car returning to a level position...cause it never really rolled too much to begin with. Love it! I can't imagine what it woulda been like with race springs...or sway bars to go with it.

2)Tire screeching: I notice now taking turns I used to take at the same speed...my tires now screech a little. I don't think this is a bad thing though. It's almost as if now I'm keeping more tire on the ground, and letting quattro do its thing.(?...am i right on this?)

3)Ride Quality: Basically stock...only noticeable on harsh bumps and when you are really driving it hard.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: things i've noticed after lowering

ORIGINAL: VB05

2)Tire screeching: I notice now taking turns I used to take at the same speed...my tires now screech a little. I don't think this is a bad thing though. It's almost as if now I'm keeping more tire on the ground, and letting quattro do its thing.(?...am i right on this?)
Thayt screeching noise is actually your tires slipping, sideways, just a bit. Without the boingy-boingy suspension there is less of the springs to absorb the centripedal forces acting on your car when you take turns, so the tires have to tryN provide that function. As your speed exceeds the grip in your tires, they slip. That screeching noise is actually a few dozen miles of tire wear sacrificing itself, for you... You are keeping MORE rubber on pavement, BTW, but, as with EVERYTHING in life, there is an accosiated price to pay, for that extra-steadiness. You've basically done away with one of the trade-off car manufacturers make, when designing a car. Ride quality vs. road-holding vs. tire wear.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

ORIGINAL: VB05

Thayt screeching noise is actually your tires slipping, sideways, just a bit. Without the boingy-boingy suspension there is less of the springs to absorb the centripedal forces acting on your car when you take turns, so the tires have to tryN provide that function. As your speed exceeds the grip in your tires, they slip. That screeching noise is actually a few dozen miles of tire wear sacrificing itself, for you... You are keeping MORE rubber on pavement, BTW, but, as with EVERYTHING in life, there is an accosiated price to pay, for that extra-steadiness. You've basically done away with one of the trade-off car manufacturers make, when designing a car. Ride quality vs. road-holding vs. tire wear.
thanks for the explanation. I was just driving all the twisty roads I know before...and I notice if a take the turn tighter than usual i get less screeching. I think I was used to not taking it so tight because when I did on non-sport stock suspension, it was understeer-mania.

Which brings me to my next question. What could I do with aftermarket swaybars to further decrease understeer or even promote a lil oversteer?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 AM
5th Gear

Yeah swaybars would make a huge difference... if you go with the h-sport ones you'll have some oversteer. Talk to Rick at www.performancepartsstore.com or rick@performancepartsstore.com and he'll hook you up. That's where I got mine.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Yeah swaybars would make a huge difference... if you go with the h-sport ones you'll have some oversteer. Talk to Rick at www.performancepartsstore.com or rick@performancepartsstore.com and he'll hook you up. That's where I got mine.
sweet, thanks for the recommedation. are the h-sports the ones that come with the sub-frame renforcment kit?

Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 AM
5th Gear

Yup they are. http://www.h-sport.com/cgi-bin/EDCst...atalogno=22801

I think rick will sell them shipped for 380 or something.