Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V for Vendetta

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Default RE: V for Vendetta

ORIGINAL: apg96

so when its on IMAX is just bigger, I thought IMAX was 3D.
Are you talking IMAX Theatres? They are freaking HUGE!! the screen wraps around the front so that you feel like you are in the movie.. The one we have here, the screen is 6 stories high and has 12,000 watts of stereo sound... The 3D you are talking about is also there, but it comes on Headsets you put on.. It depends on what movie, and what they offer it in, most are on the Gian screen though

Old 03-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: TheJazz7

On a somewhat related note....(Not to throw too much gasoline on the political fire) but check out this editorial regarding the White House's National Security Strategy, a document they issued earlier this week. Stuff like this keeps me up at night...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/19/news/edoped.php

you read the "International Herald Tribune" and then go to the Opinion section and consider that worth your time to read? Wow...

Old 03-19-2006, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Real chap. Name was Guido Fawkes. Attempted to blow up parliament in the 1600's but was caught. he wanted to kill King james I, (I think) and all the MP chappies. He was killed in rather gruesome ways. Hung, drawn, quartered, burnet at the stake, and THEN tortured!

We celebrate the 5th on November at home by having bonfires, (to represent the fire he was ..erm.. burnt on), and have wee dummies all dressed up like Guy Fawkes who sit atop the bonny! Great night all round. Fireworks, baked spuds in the fire, and what not. One of the best nights of the year as it happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

I suppose that why I thoughtit was so fantastic. Nice to have a British based hero thingy, as we are more often than not the bloody villains!

Old 03-20-2006, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

Saw it last night, good movie, enjoyed it immensely, would recommend it to anyone (though it helps if you're a fan of the Wachowsky brothers and their penchant for amazingly verbose characters).

Rarely does a superhero movie take such great effort to sideswipe the Bush administration's policies. The repeated mentions of "the Former United States" were chilling.

The police using a Rover 75 at least 15 into the future? I suppose if the Chinese really did purchase Rover as a going concern, and kept building them same damn models....

Old 03-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Site Moderator

Just saw it. That was one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

Saw it last night, good movie, enjoyed it immensely, would recommend it to anyone (though it helps if you're a fan of the Wachowsky brothers and their penchant for amazingly verbose characters).

Rarely does a superhero movie take such great effort to sideswipe the Bush administration's policies. The repeated mentions of "the Former United States" were chilling.

The police using a Rover 75 at least 15 into the future? I suppose if the Chinese really did purchase Rover as a going concern, and kept building them same damn models....
I noticed the rover! Orrible car!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

You guys are the first two good reviews I've read so far. The NYTimes trashed it.

"Like the last two installments of the "Matrix" cycle, this film sags when it should zip, weighted down with self-importance and some dubious thinking."

But I wouldn't mind seeing another action flick on the Imax.
Two things: They were right about the self-importance and "subtle" symbolism...the Wachowski's brand of Messianic mythology is artlessly added in to the movie. Think bullet-time raindrops on Natalie Portman mid-epiphany/self-discovery.

But that didn't make the move suck. It was incredibly entertaining; great story, great acting, one incredible action scene. Definitely worth the money.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

ORIGINAL: TheJazz7

On a somewhat related note....(Not to throw too much gasoline on the political fire) but check out this editorial regarding the White House's National Security Strategy, a document they issued earlier this week. Stuff like this keeps me up at night...

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/03/19/news/edoped.php

you read the "International Herald Tribune" and then go to the Opinion section and consider that worth your time to read? Wow...

It's not news buddy...it's Fark.com! I go there before CNN and Google News every morning.

The discussion that transpired around this particular article can be found here:
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comm...IDLink=1968125

Old 03-20-2006, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

Bullet time? You know what the bullet time thing was? Rain was just rain, doing what rain does, falling down...

Old 03-20-2006, 05:08 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Yuikio

ORIGINAL: pturbo

You guys are the first two good reviews I've read so far. The NYTimes trashed it.

"Like the last two installments of the "Matrix" cycle, this film sags when it should zip, weighted down with self-importance and some dubious thinking."

But I wouldn't mind seeing another action flick on the Imax.
Two things: They were right about the self-importance and "subtle" symbolism...the Wachowski's brand of Messianic mythology is artlessly added in to the movie. Think bullet-time raindrops on Natalie Portman mid-epiphany/self-discovery.

But that didn't make the move suck. It was incredibly entertaining; great story, great acting, one incredible action scene. Definitely worth the money.
That doesn't sound all bad then. I don't generally enjoy being preached to in movies. I know how the a certain crowd loves the whole Orwell thing along with the "We're practically living in a fascist state now" nonsense, so it would make sense that that crowd would dig the movie. Preaching to the choir, so to speak. I am hoping for a bit more. I'll probably go check it out if I go see any movie soon. There isn't much out that I want to see right now. V is on the Imax too, so that should make it a little more fun regardless.

The more I thought about the NYTimes review of "weighted down with self-importance and some dubious thinking", the more I thought that it sounded like a perfect description of the NYtimes itself. Perhaps they are simply angry that there weren't enough gay/transgender characters in the flick.