Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to express my gratitude

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Want to express my gratitude

My girlfriend drives a 2001 A6 and recently it's been having some problems. I consider myself a decent mechanic, but i've never touched a foreign vehicle. I decided to get on the internet and start searching for other people who were having similar problems on their Audis. Then I found audiforums.com.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to those members on here who post quality tech info that will save me literally thousands of dollars in labor.

So far I've replaced the brake pads, which after reading the horror stories on this website, I was able to do in 15 minutes per corner. (Thank god for the caliper tool, but I'm not sure why the piston needs to rotate to be pushed back into the caliper).

Next I'll be replacing the ABS module because my ABS and brake light come on every time the vehicle is started with the associated 3 loud *** beeps. If my research is correct I'll need to take the ABS module off, send it to modulemaster.com to get it rebuilt for like $220, put it back on, and I'll be good to go. Again, saving me loads of cash compared to taking it to the dealer.

Finally, the digital dash cluster is missing lines and pixels, but i'm still not clear on the ease of replacement for this part. I still have to research the VAG thing too because I'm a little slow with computer language.

Again, thank you audiforums.com members! I hope I've given you proof that coming on here daily and giving your advice pays off to people like me down the road who are trying to enjoy and respect the same automobile engineering that you do.

Tyler

Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Want to express my gratitude

I'm glad we could help. The display problem you are talking about sounds like "dead pixels" and the only real fix for that is to get a whole new Gauge Cluster area which is $$$$, but I believe somewhere someone was trying to get Audi to do a formal recall on the item (even though I don't see that one happening soon).

The VAG tool, is a VW/Audi specific diagnostic tool which also can allow you to modify your cars computer giving you the ability to change things like make the rear windows auto up/down as well as the front and do many other fun things, along with reading and deciphering the CEL's which Audi's are well to known for

Welcome to the AF

Old 05-11-2008, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

Glad to hear someone figured out how to use the search feature!

You can get the VAG-COM software at www.ross-tech.com

Old 05-11-2008, 02:38 PM
3rd Gear

For the Beeping noise check your brake fluid.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

^ what does that have to do with the beeping noise, the beeps sound anytime something is amiss on the car, it could be anything. My 01 S beeped when the ABS went, I just didn't bother replacing it.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Site Moderator

There is an alternate fix for the busted pixels, but you have to tear the display apart, clean it, then figure out how to put it back together.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: acamillo

^ what does that have to do with the beeping noise, the beeps sound anytime something is amiss on the car, it could be anything. My 01 S beeped when the ABS went, I just didn't bother replacing it.
When the Brake light comes on and beeps it is sometimes just a low brake fluid indicator.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

The brake fluid is topped off so I dont think that's what it is. I have the ABS light on, brake light flashing, and the check engine light on. I'm hoping when I replace the ABS module, all three lights will go out. Thanks for input!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Hopefully that'll fix it, but the CEL has to be actively turned off (VagCom can do that). Some people have had luck with disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so to clear a CEL, but that didn't work on my 99 A4 - I had to bribe Hiwords with a hooker so he'd bring his VagCom over and turn the light off for me. You may find though that doing the rebuild and then turning the light off fixes the issues though.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear

Your CEL shouldn't come on due to the ABS module. I replaced it on my A6 also, (I think its an A6 problem that it happens mostly) the module replacement is a breeze. You should get your CEL checked out through the VAG or go to Autozone and they might tell you what it is and clear it for you. GL!

Quick Reply: Want to express my gratitude