Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well my life just turned to shit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Administrator

this is so similar and different from my parents situation, my dad and mom had ran a business together, they made well over 100k a year. but the industry took a shiet and they had to retired but my dad was a smart man who always thought of the future

all he did was save, he paid off the house and had a good savings, why cant most americans do that, he lived with in his means and was able to save

that goes for everyone in my family, they all have thier homes, car and wat not paid off. no one is in debt. if they lost their jobs today then they would have enough to probly retire

Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by PandaXpress
this is so similar and different from my parents situation, my dad and mom had ran a business together, they made well over 100k a year. but the industry took a shiet and they had to retired but my dad was a smart man who always thought of the future

all he did was save, he paid off the house and had a good savings, why cant most americans do that, he lived with in his means and was able to save

that goes for everyone in my family, they all have thier homes, car and wat not paid off. no one is in debt. if they lost their jobs today then they would have enough to probly retire
Very smart, very un-American

Debt is american!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Administrator

im a finance major and debt is good you kno, time value of money and wat not

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
4th Gear

what type of work does your dad do or what is he looking for?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM

JC-- it's going to be ok buddy. Tons of people in places other than NY are struggling too. We'll get out of it. It's times like these when you appreciate all of the things you have and realize what's more important in life.

No one has mentioned the stock market plunging, I know people who have lost $200,000+ in the stock market, as well as members of my family losing 30-40% of their money in stocks. Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket never made more sense. Don't blame JC's parents for wanting to shed the unnecessary costs in their lives. Who knows what happened to them in the stock market

Old 04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Legal Moderator

Originally Posted by ouzo 2
I know people who have lost $200,000+ in the stock market
ok this statement got me thinking. if companies and individuals are losing all this money, just where in the hell is it all going? i mean $200,000 just doesnt fall off the face of the earth. there either has to be somebody, some company, or some country getting rich off all the money being lost in the shitty economy...

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

All i have to say is life and changes in life suck and anyone in a crappy situation like this i hope the best for. But from what im hearing in here is you all have parents making over 100k a year i live on my own but when i lived with my mom she never made over 50k and she was a single mother. But no matter what changesin life your goin through like anything else it will always get better with time.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
4th Gear

i know what i says may seem extreme.. but its not my parents are only deciding to sell our extra, i would say luxury items. so we can pay off debt so its less for them to have to pay every month.. its not like my dad lost his job and we are screwed tomorrow.. his company is offering 6 months pay if he cant find a job. but even if he can get his old job back he can still get laid off on that... but on top of all this to make things worse.. i came home for my college lunch break to find half my towns fire department infront of my house... a garbage truck that only runs on natural gas (trying to be 'green') had a leak so the driver jumped out and ran. so now i live in a court. and theres this giant truck with enough natural gas to blow a crater and take out surrounding houses, just spewing out the truck.. so my neighbor called the police. and the fire department came.. now this happened at 11:30am i got there at 12:20 so see my road blocked off my dad and mom with the dogs all my neighbors and 15 cop cars about 500 feet away from the truck. 2 hazard trucks came so they could try and fix it.. but they couldnt so they had to drain all 5 tanks. so at 3pm they finished and we were let back into our homes after they checked for hazard gases. so just the thought of possibly loosing my life (not me physically) and my home just completely ruined my day.. so now that we had to stand outside in the rain and cold for hours cause my whole block was blocked off. and my car was boxed in by ambulances so i couldnt leave. good thing is im ok the truck got towed away after the tanks were emptied.. ill probly be on the news tonight. and yea... fml

Name:  IMG00100.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  201.5 KB
i just walked over from getting home not many trucks now but more came

Name:  IMG00101.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  49.7 KB
as u can see my car (black) is blocked in.

Name:  IMG00102.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  149.9 KB
Dad left. dog bottom. mom right observing the BS

Name:  IMG00103.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  194.6 KB
more trucks on the other side of the street

Name:  IMG00104.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  216.5 KB
and the 2nd garbage that truck that came for no reason.. also a natural gas one... along with 40x more fire and hazmat trucks.

and to the other questions my dad was a Regional sales manager for a company called Böwe Bell and Howell. now he might be going back to his old positon as a repair technician. fixing the machines he was selling, which he can still loose that job. my dad was smart and had his 401k maxed out at all times.. but once the stock market crashed his 401k went from 600k to about less than half. and most of our stuff is paid off. besides the house and my moms car. and some other things i cant think of.. my parents usually spend a lot of money on the house, and re decorating every room in the house twice. my moms job is solid now so shes not going anywhere, my dad just needs to find work. once im out of school and i can find a job in computer science field im going to help out my parents..

Last edited by Jc61990; 04-22-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 PM

I know life sucks sometime, but it'll pass, and you'll be better for it.

Economy got my family too, my Dad had to close the family business, which in and of itself is like a death in the family. So, he went from making 60K to none. My mom has a cleaning business on the side, but certainly not enough to support my Dad and two sisters. I put myself through college, I bought my car and I pay for my ridiculous Audi obsession, and now I'm helping support my family. On top of this, my beautiful supermodel younger sister has been extremely sick for the past two years, and we still do not know why, and now we can't pay for her doctor/chiropractor visits. Not trying to brag, but I'm saying that things are rough for a lot of people right now, and its ok to be angry at your situation. I'm only 24, life is just beginning! The same for you, this is your chance to see what you're made of! But please stop saying FML, you may majorly regret saying that someday.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
6th Gear

first of your situation sucks and I'm sure you'll get through it but it's gonna be tough. My family kinda did the same thing about 11 years ago when my dad decided he didn't want to work for the city anymore and start his own company, things are now finally going really well for him, but it was a tough time basically living on one salary.

on the lighter side of things though, for some reason whenever I read the thread title I just start Singing this in my head

Last edited by CAB509; 04-22-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: well my life just turned to shit.