Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What im thinking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 AM
4th Gear
Default What im thinking...

Alright, since the forum latly has had alot of personal stuff, i thought id throw out whats on my mind right now. I have been seeing this girl for about a yr now. Things with us our absolutly crazy, and i don't see any end in sight. My family backround is religios in a way, only to a certain extent. NOTHING crazy like some people are, but its there. My girls family is slightly religios as well, but she only the other hand, is not as much. I in fact do belive that there is a God. She on the other hand, is not so sure. I guess my Q is, could something like this in the future cause problems?

There is really true love here in this relationship, but sometimes i wonder.

btw- Sorry for taking bandwitdth, im just typing what im thinking.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What im thinking...

The issue of religious beliefs is something that certainly should be talked about BEFORE marriage, particularly if you are not "equally yoked" (meaning not of the same faith, or belief; or even the same LEVEL of belief)
If you 2 are kinda serious, it would make a good discussion topic.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:49 AM
4th Gear

I think that age is a factor. How old is she? A lot of people may head off to check out other religions(mostly eastern) or reject religion out of hand in their early 20s. Some stay out there and many come back to where they started later on. That's what I have observed a number of times anyway. I would think that a similar belief structure would only benefit a relationship. If half of a couple thinks the other believes in some old bearded guy in the sky and this causes laughter, then there may be trouble on the horizon. Ask your girl straight up what her thoughts are on the matter. Once you really know where she is coming from, then you can make a more informed decision that may affect your future.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

Yeah it could defenitley come into play - especially if you ever decide to have kids, even if its waaay down the line.
something u should discuss if youre thinking about getting married... It's better to be honest about it now & discuss it w/ her & how important is it to her.

Is she just questioning her faith (which I think most people do at some point) or is she absolutely sure...
also - what if she just doesnt feel like theres "a God" but she'll still, out of respect,
go to church w/ you & respect that you have your beliefs..

Old 03-14-2006, 03:33 AM
4th Gear

Great points guys, i love being able to get good opinons for a unbiased source. Thanks guys..

Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 PM
5th Gear

like turbo said, i think if she's willing to respect your own beliefs, it shouldn't matter what her beliefs are...depending on who i'm talking to, i'm either agnostic or atheist...i believe that the idea of a god is pretty much impossible, but i don't deny the fact that there really is no way of knowing...oddly enough, most of the girls i've dated (seriously dated anyway) have been very religious...i respected their beliefs, and we would always have debates about it..i think it actually may have made the relationship stronger in a way

Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Administrator

From teh standpoint of someone who has dated women who were everytyhing from Agnostic, to Christian (Catholic, Baptist, Episcopalian), Jehovah's Witnesses, and I think one was even a Satan Worshiper (don't ask, it didn't last beyond teh second date), I can honestly say that, it boils down to whether you BOTH are open-minded, adult, and respectful enough to allow the other person THEIR beilef system. It won't last if you're BOTH thinking th eother one is a clueless dolt who needs to buy a vowell.

$0.02

Old 03-14-2006, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

Lots of good feedback here.

In my view, almost anything can make a difference or cause a problem...from being something seemingly insignificant to something that traditionally has been viewed as being major, like religious beliefs, political ideology, material/economic well being, ethnic background and educational background.

I think it really comes down to what you and your gf think about it. I was married to a girl of a different race....didn't cause one bit of a problem. I've been everything from holy roller to agnostic myself, and except for the holy roller phase, religion didn't make much of a difference. But plenty of other seemingly smaller items have caused problems. So, I think it comes down to what is important to you and your gf and how you work it out. Be honest with each other about how you feel...cause making things work out is not the same as having things work out. Sometimes the things you make fall apart.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator

My GF comes from a very religious family (Catholic) and she is very religious, I on the other hand am not religious, at all.. but we are in love, and we both respect each others beliefs, it has been working great for 3 years now

Old 03-14-2006, 04:54 PM
18T
4th Gear

If you guys really love eacother than i dont believe there should be a problem. But you might want to go over it at some point.

Its not a big deal at all. Dont let it destroy your relationship. Religion through the course of time has the tendancy to do that.

On the point about children, I am TRULLY happy and thankfull that my grandparents and my parents raised me to THINK FOR MYSELF. They NEVER forced religion into my life.

On the other hand, spirituality and the concept of a higher power/force was always presented to me.

I guess what im trying to say is to let things work out forthemselves. Do not force Religion.

I for one will do exactly the same as my grandparents/parents did.

The way I look at it, there IS a force that animates and binds all things into existance, there has to be. I dont think the Cosmos can function the way it does without it.

Whether there is a "god" as people depict it, im not sure.

I am glad that my GF (almost 1 year now) shares the same view.

just my 0.2

Quick Reply: What im thinking...