Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Saturated Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Default WTF? Saturated Timing Belt

Sup guys, to make a long story short... My car is covered under the Certified Pre-ownede warranty so I took it to the NYC Dealer to get my water pump replaced because it was leaking coolant... the next day they call me telling me that the pump is covered but the timing belt needs to be replaced along with other associated parts because they are completely saturated with coolant. The job is going to cost $900!!!! I mean I don't have a HUGE problem with it if its actually is legit and their not just trying to milk me. Have u guys ever heard of a timing belt needing to be replaced because of a coolant leak? and is $900 a good price?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 AM
4th Gear

weird, never heard of that, though i do have a tt. but i know my coolant tank is there too. hmm, 900 seems just about par, maybe a little higher. i bet if it has to get done you can find somewhere that'll go cheaper or you could always do it

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 AM
4th Gear

Coolant i don't think will cause problems.... the timing belt is rubber and so are the hoses for the coolant so i can't see the coolant deteriorating the belt. The belt also is a toothed, or has teeth on it so it can not slip due to being wet. how many miles are on the car?

Josh

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear

IMO it is ALWAYS a good idea to do the timing belt when you do a water pump or anything in that area. Also you have to notice that like 600 of that is them charging you for parts. The coolant may not cause a problem but when it comes to a timing belt you don't want to risk it. These cars already have belt problems to begin with so a foreign substance can be bad. Just make sure there doing the full timing belt job meaning all tensioner and idler pulley's on the belt are being replaced as well.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 AM
4th Gear

600 for parts? that sucks, maybe an a4 thing? i can get all that stuff for my 1.8 for ~300 i believe

Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by theTTkid
600 for parts? that sucks, maybe an a4 thing? i can get all that stuff for my 1.8 for ~300 i believe
V6 vs I4 is the problem

Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
4th Gear

ahh touche, i guess if i read your sig i would notice the 2.8...

bummer dude

Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Slut

I dont see why that wouldnt also be covered under the warranty, especially if the faulty pump caused the other problems. Sounds sketchy to me.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
I dont see why that wouldnt also be covered under the warranty, especially if the faulty pump caused the other problems. Sounds sketchy to me.
Exactly! Your car is under bumper to bumper warranty dude... if there's a problem, it gets FIXED!
That they admitted it needs a new timing belt (prematurely) pretty much screws them out of saying it's wear and tear (a timing belt it usually not covered under warranty, as it is 'maintenance'). This issue is clearly not maintenance, so they have to pay up. They can either fix it for you (no charge) or admit that they were just scamming you for money, and it's really not going to fail prematurely.
Take it to AOA if you need to, but that **** is getting fixed for FREEEEEE!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM

I called customers relations and they said that the timing belt should be covered since the water pump is what caused the problems... so they called the service center and I'm waiting for a phone call from the service center and customer relations

Quick Reply: WTF? Saturated Timing Belt