RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Burnt clutch on RS4

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Burnt clutch on RS4

Just let one of my friends test out the RS4 ten minutes ago. There's a strong smell of burnt clutch. Here's my questions:

1. How can I tell if the clutch has been damaged other than the burnt odor? (I've never burnt a clutch before, let alone in an RS4)

2. If the clutch is damaged, what are the costs associated?

3. Anyone with any similar situations? (And yes, this is the LAST time I let anyone touch the RS4).

Thanks guys for any pointers.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Burnt clutch on RS4

First. How can let somebody drive YOUR car? That's like letting somebody f**k you wife!

Second, I don't think there is a problem. It's like the guy used your clutch for 5min. and wore it just as bad as you could've wore it for 500 or 1000 miles normal driving.

Well, when I think about it, if the clutch slipping continued for longer time, deformation of the armature plate can occur! Also the rubber damper could melt! The cost depends, I don't want to tell you something that's wrong but if the slipping was long enough, a clutch system failure can occur....which is probably not your case so chill!

...and c'mon man, that's YOUR Audi, you don't give it to anybody....

Old 11-29-2006, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

people who don't know how to launch an AWD car will always slip the clutch. they don't realize that unlike rwd's where the rear tires will just start spinning, on an AWD car, if the torque isn't put down to all 4 wheels correctly, the only other place the torque can escape from is at the clutch.

assuming that your former friend didn't keep launching and slipping the clutch over and over again, it should be ok. that burnt clutch smell might be present for a couple days if he really did a number but they're pretty tough and should be able to keep going without any problems.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:16 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't worry about it unless the clutch is slipping for you. The RS4 clutch stinks like no other car I've owned, but the smell quickly dissapates within a few minutes.

I don't mind if a trusted friend drives my car, but I'm going along to share in the fun and give some guidance. Nothing wrong with a little 3-way action once in a while (j/k).

What the hell is an "armature plate"? It sounds like we're talking about an electric motor. Do you mean pressure plate, clutch disk, or flywheel perhaps? And where is the rubber damper located? I've have dozens of clutches apart, but never an Audi.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear

Not one of my friends has ever driven one of my cars. That is a frickin' crime.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I went to the parking garage and couldn't smell the clutch. I drove the car home, through stop and go traffic, and then gunned the car on the straightway to my house. There was a burnt smell when I finally parked the RS4 in the garage, but nothing outrageous like what I experienced today. As long as there's nothing permanently wrong, I'll chalk up the experience as what NOT to do for the future.

From now on, no one's driving my hot car (or my hot wife for that matter) other than me.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 AM
4th Gear

Are you sure that it was the clutch and not just the brakes?

Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

ELEVENS

You are right. The term is from an electromagnetic clutch. I'm trying to remember what I was thinking when I wrote that....I meant a 'clutch disk' And yes, the rubber damper exist only in the el.magnetic clutch.

I didn't smoke crack thou...

Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

Ahhh that's cool. I thought I might have to go back to tech school and learn about des German motorcars!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 PM
1st Gear

Not a huge deal, just don't do it to much. I burnt mine once or twice back when I first got it...but that was it! Now it is running better than ever. The smell does overtake the cabin but after a min is gone. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Burnt clutch on RS4