RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

The EPC warning symbol came on today while driving..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM

I've had this happen to me twice now....last spring (2008) and again today. If your EPC light comes on and then your rpm jumps up and down it is your throttle body. An easy fix and its up front and on top (on a TT model). The joke, it's the chip that is bad that is attached to the aluminum part but it cannot be bought separately...it will be between $150 and $250. Once the throttle body is replaced to reset the system you will need to turn your car on (without turning over the motor) and wait until all noises stop in and around your dash (maybe 30 seconds) then turn your key back to the off position then start the car. OK, now should I sell my car?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Default EPC warning light

Originally Posted by abouTTime
I've had this happen to me twice now....last spring (2008) and again today. If your EPC light comes on and then your rpm jumps up and down it is your throttle body. An easy fix and its up front and on top (on a TT model). The joke, it's the chip that is bad that is attached to the aluminum part but it cannot be bought separately...it will be between $150 and $250. Once the throttle body is replaced to reset the system you will need to turn your car on (without turning over the motor) and wait until all noises stop in and around your dash (maybe 30 seconds) then turn your key back to the off position then start the car. OK, now should I sell my car?
any response is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Hi folks,

I was right on my way to the Audi service with one thing when suddenly when accelerated from about 40km/h to about 80km/h get the EPC warning together with ESP warning, (the road was clean asphalt).
As the lamps turned on the engine lost the power and I could only drive with max 40km/h no matter how much I pushed the gas pedal it was only about 40km/h.

Well at Audi service they did connect the computer to my A4 and it showed that there is:

- adjustement of camshaft is to slow
- the throttle is static

The audi machanic said that when I drive and this will show and the engine loose the power I have to as fast as possible turn the engine of anf back on, still driving, and this way the warning lamps turn off.

However I have an appointment at Audi service next week to leav the car for
searching and diagnos of the car systems.

I will be back when I know some more.

Cheers

Last edited by frameit; 01-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Exact same issue happened to me the other day in my RS4:

• The other nights, I noticed intermittent sputtering/lurching/hesitation when gently accelerating at 35 mph in 3rd or 4th gear, didn't think much of it as it was very minor. Then bigger issues began…

• Driving on long highway trip, going about 75mph steady.
• EPC and ESP lights come on, power is cut way down (flooring it does nothing)
• Pull over, shut car off for a couple minutes
• When I start it again, lights go off, car runs fine for 50 miles
• Then the EPC, ESP and check engine lights come on again, power is cut again
• I drive 50 miles like this, struggling to make it up hills, max speed was 75mph
• Stop for gas, shut car off for a few minutes
• Start car again, check engine light is on, but other lights have gone off, power is back to normal. Everything seems fine except for the check engine light (gas cap is tight)
• Drive 100 miles like this, get home, let car sit over night
• Start car in the morning, all lights are off, car is running fine.

Going to call the dealer tomorrow to set an appointment...