RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 B7 Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 AM
1st Gear
Default RS4 B7 Suspension Problems

Hi all,

I've owned an RS4 (V8 B7) Avant from new, for nearly 2 years now, which still gives me a 'buzz' everytime I get in & drive it............unfortunately though, for the last 12months I've had nothing but trouble with the Suspension.
The Car has been back & forth to the Audi Dealership that I bought it from, with them replacing ALL of the Shock Absorbers(the Front Right being replaced twice!) & BOTH of the Electronic Cylinders at the Rear. The Suspension only seems to feel ok for a week or two after the repair work, then it goes back to making a 'knocking' noise & feeling 'spongy', which is driving me 'nuts!'
Has anyone else had this problem?
How can it be cured?

Regards,

GibRS4

Old 10-15-2008, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Same problem. It was attributed to a leak and all the suspension parts were replaced. I am sorry I am not sure if it will be a recurrent problem, as I only drove it for about 2 weeks following the new suspension repair.

My car has been in the shop for 90 staight days waiting for a new engine block and reassembly. If I ever get it back, I will let you know if the suspension fails again.

If it does, I will get a BMW.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RS4 suspension noise

I've got a 2008 RS4 and get a clunk from front center either just left, just right or just stereo of center. Usually when going over the down side of rolling bumps or drop offs (i.e. shaved pavement from good pavement and usually worse in cold weather). Sounds like it's coming from the firewall, lower in the car. Had it at the dealer and they put sound sensors on, drove with S button on and off and then were told to stop working on the car by the Audi tech line. They're going to drive the next one that comes in to see if it makes the same noise. I told them that two wrongs doesn't make a right. Does anyone know of aftermarket that might take care of this? I've also got an anoying squeaking coming from the trunk area which I suspect is all the styrofoam around the battery. Anyone know how to solve this?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 AM
2nd Gear

Your battery is in the trunk??

Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Woodhead2k
Your battery is in the trunk??
Because the V-8 engine is heavy, the hood and front fenders are made from aluminum to save weight and to improve the front-rear weight distribution. Improving weight distribution is another reason the battery is mounted in the trunk where the spare tire normally is.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Hi Guys

Well, now it seams to be my turn to face problems with Audi's (wonderful) DRC system!

My RS4 is 14 month old, 5600 Miles (at today Feb 2009), had the first front right shock renewed in October 2008 and now another two shocks are gone, what is that all about?

The car has never been raced on a track, so the only problem I see is the worse than Third World Contry quality of Tarmac we have to deal with here and around Los Angeles (the roads in most Asian contries are better then here in Gods Own .............).

I asked the service people at the dealer ship for a reason, and they just lifted their shoulder when asked why that could be that three shocks have given up within 6000 Miles, that is not a good sign! Anyway, a few questions:

- How many RS4 owners out there are having problems with the DRC system and/or the shocks?

- For how long time will Audi cover the cost of shocks and DRC system related parts and man hours, 1 or 3 years?

- Guess some have mounted non-original components, which brands are availble and what is the experience gained so far?

I am looking forward hearing from you guys out there, thank you

Lars

Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Lars,
Have you searched for DRC issues over on Audiworld forum? There are tons of similar posts over there and RS4 owners who have discovered some helpful information. I have 10k miles on my RS4 and so far the DRC seems to work fine. The shocks have minor wet areas, but the ride and handling seem to be normal. I don't think Audi considers the shocks as "failed" until they are actually dripping wet. Is that what happened to yours?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Hi all,

After having practically everything replaced on my RS4 Suspension, my Local Audi Dealer managed to cure it........no more 'Knocking' or 'Spongy' Suspension!

I've recently Sold the Car & bought a new Audi TTS which has the Magnetic Ride Suspension........I'm very pleased with it.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Buy coilovers, but do your homework. Doesn't seem Like Audi cares much and are not going to make a Recall on this. This issue is a problem on the RS6s and with all Audis not just on the RS4.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Default Drc up-grade

Just got a letter in the Mail from Volkswagen of America, Inc./Audi of America, Inc. The letter clearly states that VW/Audi finished developing and testing improved shock absorbers and are in the process of developing the necessary parts to provide all RS6 customers in early August. I have called my dealer and they informed me that the RS4 is included in this replacement. The service will replace all four shocks and validate the DRC System. All at no cost to the customer. Also included was a claim form. This form is to get reimbursement for your payment if you have already paid to have the shocks repaired or replaced. Contact Audi for more info. Spread the word.
Happy Motoring!
Audi of America, Inc.
3800 Hamlin Road
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
United States of America
www.audiusa.com

Last edited by SIKAudi; 03-10-2009 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: RS4 B7 Suspension Problems