RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RS6

I heard they dont make the current RS6 in manual because the force it puts on your right hand would be to great of a force to shift into gears. Correct me if im wrong

Old 01-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Default RE: RS6

wrong. it doesnt even have 1g of acceleration force. they dont offer it for the same reason benz doesnt offer any manual transmittion. people that can afford an rs6 dont want a manual tranny

Old 01-29-2005, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

That and they dont want to spend the $$ investing in a new nice 6 speed manual that can handle the power.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Last post is right, they don't currently have a manual box that's reliable enough to take the power.

Also the harsh engagement of manual transmissions would break other things like props and diffs.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:52 AM

It's interesting reading that you think that it would be too much for them to create a manual box that could handle the power

I currently own a 2004 STi but I'm also buying a new S4

Having owned an STi with heavy modifications (425whp via an FP Green) I've never had any reason to doubt the Subaru STi 6 speed.....many guys in the Portland area PDXWRX group have put down over 500whp on their stock STi trannys....

I would think that Audi would be more than capable of making a tranny that could handle the Rs6's torque and power...many EVOs and DSMs run far greater power on stock trannys and differentials and never see them break

I wonder if the reason Audi does that is more because the buyers of an RS6 dont want a manual....it should be a simple engineering task to build such a tranny....

Vipers and Z06's put more power into manuals and they seem to run fine

Just my 2 cents!! Later all

Old 03-29-2005, 03:02 AM
4th Gear

well, as much as the 6speed manual seeing duty on the S4 now a days could handle the power, it wouldn't be as reliable as it should be. at some time, with taht power the 6speed might break... which should never happen on a factory car. i'm sure your STis are fairly close to breaking... it's more than likely a matter of time.

Vipers and Zo6s would be useless without a manual, the RS6 is a completly different type of buyer.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:36 AM
rs
2nd Gear

buyer wants, buyer needs. rich people still feel the desire to drive their car, and select their gearing... porsche 911 turbo converter to the RUF R Turbo, has over 560hp with 600 tq. im more then positive this car is stick... audi...porsche...audi....porsche, **** lets throw a VW in the mix, whats the difference? same company no?

btw. the RUF R Turbo does 0 to 100 Km/h in 3.7 Sec, so believe the clutch is getting popped..

http://www.fast-autos.net/ruf/rufrturbosport.html

this is stock...still room for upgrades, i got the 560bhp from a video where its racing a Brabus SV 12 (sl 600 converted)

Old 03-29-2005, 04:13 AM
4th Gear

yes, same company. buyer buys all 3 for style and reliability... but
audi: class
porche: speed
VW: price (thus... i'm not quite understanding the phaeton and the touareg)

Old 03-29-2005, 01:26 PM
rs
2nd Gear

hehe, but they have a tranny that could handle that power, why not incorperate that into the rs6? an aftermarket tranny swap could be done too prolly, it may be pricey, but if u have an rs6, u prolly wouldnt care lol..

not like the rs6 is the fastest car in the world, and is impossible to mate to a stick, theres faster cars with a 6 speed gear box...

Old 03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

True, there are much faster cars than the RS6. But let me pose this question, can you find a car that is just as fast and ALSO just as heavy? Two cars come to mind and that is the E55 (only offered in auto), and the M5 (new one only offered in SMG). The old M5 you could get a manual option, but it still was not as heavy, nor as powerful, as the RS6 or E55. Comparing a Porsche RUF and an RS6 is like comparing apples and oranges; they aren't in the same class. However with that being said, you would still think that Audi would figure out a way to make a manual. But that takes us back to the point of those that buy the car typically (typically not always) want to use this car as an everyday driver/luxury sedan, but still have the bad ***, race car type feel. It's all about what the customer wants and the type of customer that buys. Take this into account: a lot of people say the ultra sport is much more agressive looking than the new S4 because of the "honeycomb" type girll. But guys that buy the S4 are typically in their 40s and don't necissarily want an overly agressive looking car. Whereas the ultrasport buyers tend to be younger and have less money to spend, they want the more agressive look. There is a reason those marketing dudes for any major company make a lot of money.