S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

$1750 for the timing belt change @ the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear
Default $1750 for the timing belt change @ the dealership

It's not all that scary.
another $310 for a tie rod end ($670 if it's the linkage) and $130 for an oil change and oil filter.
Anything else I should do? Car's got 75,000 miles now.
I'll thank you later.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: $1750 for the timing belt change @ the dealership

Your looking at around $2300 for that plus tax. OUCH!

I would take it to a good local independent. They usually charge $1000-1300 for the TB job.

Mine cost me $3000, but I put in all this, labor was free on me.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

That's a little rough. I agree with 2KS4 I did hybrid turbos, timing belt, water pump, serp belt, underdrive pulleys, a/c delete, fan delete, and manifolds for $3000. Labor was very cheap though. The tie rods ends I just got off ecstuning and I'm doing both inners and outers for $125. I'd get a second estimate somewhere.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

Yeah it's not cheap. I'm ALL FOR giving the independent guy the work-I've learned that's the best way, almost. When it comes to this detailed piece of machinery, I really only trust the dealership, using audi parts---the guy up the road told me $1100+ for the TB. But you know...they take care of every car in the world.
So yes, I blame my trust on my ignorance.
All in all, thank you for the heads up. You guys must know people in the local garages to get cheap labor; or you hired illegals.
-C

Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Or even better...DIY...FREE LABOR. If you have a set of tools, capable hands, and half a brain you can do it your self, its really not diffcult. Seriously im not just saying that cuz i used to work on cars, you're just scared of messing up, i was the first time i did a timing belt on anything. Oil change at the dealer is total rape, it will cost you less than 50 to do it at home. Dont forget the dealership is flat rate, and the faster they work the better the pay is, so the dealer isnt always better. I used to be a dealership guy and ive seen it/ done it first hand. Independant is the way to go if you dont want to do it on your own.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: MyDreamCar

Yeah it's not cheap. I'm ALL FOR giving the independent guy the work-I've learned that's the best way, almost. When it comes to this detailed piece of machinery, I really only trust the dealership, using audi parts---the guy up the road told me $1100+ for the TB. But you know...they take care of every car in the world.
So yes, I blame my trust on my ignorance.
All in all, thank you for the heads up. You guys must know people in the local garages to get cheap labor; or you hired illegals.
-C
$1100 is where most Independent shops are at. They will use OEM parts if you ask them. I would find a German or Audi Independent, rather then Joe's does it all shop.

I trust an Independent a lot more then then Dealer. They want your business & usually are a lot more about your & making you happy, then just getting your money.

DIY is not hard if you can wrench your own car, or even find a local Audi guy who has does it before, you can't beat DIY, then you have no one to blame but your self.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, you're right about the DIY. I am TOTALLY a DIY guy. But I haven't the right tools and am so scared at aligning everything up perfectly. If I blow it up, I am so *ucked. I hear you about the Audi independent mechanic. But what worries me is, if they screw up and my car goes Kaput, then I feel like AUdi would take care of me better. PLUS, I mean, if an Audi expert is TRUELY an expert, than who knows if they've worked on an S4 before. I dunno guys. I just feel like the Audi dealership has seen hundreds of S4's and know them by heart. The BMW/Mercedes/Audi expert has maybe seen just a fraction of the Audi's. But, then again. a german car is as confusing as the next. errrrrr!!!
I saw the DIY post on the TB, and holy cow it's confusing (probably cause I didn't read it). It was about 9 pages. Plus my tools are all missing and mixed up, and I live in an apartment building too. blah blah balah. THANK YOU!
So you guys all did the TB w/out the dealer huh. Hmmm.... I think I'll hunt an Audi expert out. I think there's one down the street from me. OEM ONLY! Later

Old 02-10-2007, 03:48 AM

MYDreamcar...where you located?? im a VW/Audi Tech and i might be able to help you out if you are in the San Diego Area.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: MyDreamCar

Yeah, you're right about the DIY. I am TOTALLY a DIY guy. But I haven't the right tools and am so scared at aligning everything up perfectly. If I blow it up, I am so *ucked. I hear you about the Audi independent mechanic. But what worries me is, if they screw up and my car goes Kaput, then I feel like AUdi would take care of me better. PLUS, I mean, if an Audi expert is TRUELY an expert, than who knows if they've worked on an S4 before. I dunno guys. I just feel like the Audi dealership has seen hundreds of S4's and know them by heart. The BMW/Mercedes/Audi expert has maybe seen just a fraction of the Audi's. But, then again. a german car is as confusing as the next. errrrrr!!!
I saw the DIY post on the TB, and holy cow it's confusing (probably cause I didn't read it). It was about 9 pages. Plus my tools are all missing and mixed up, and I live in an apartment building too. blah blah balah. THANK YOU!
So you guys all did the TB w/out the dealer huh. Hmmm.... I think I'll hunt an Audi expert out. I think there's one down the street from me. OEM ONLY! Later
I have to read your post like 3 times to get the gist of what you are saying

Sounds like you give in to the marketing ploy that Dealers do better work. Chances are the least experienced tech is doing the work. Since the belt is suppose to be changed at 100,000mi a lot of dealers haven't done a lot of them due to the cars being out of warranty. But the Indy does one a week & it's usually the most experienced tech doing the work.

It's a total DIY, but you should have a garage, or some other covered place to the TB, a lot of parts need to come off the engine.
Here is a post of my DIY.
https://www.audiforums.com/m_423381/tm.htm

Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear

I live in Monterey, ca. I decided to forgo the Tb tis time, thinking I didn't want to spend the $. Instead, after bringing in the Audi to the Dealer, I'm spending $2800 on many different little things: Carbon flush, new plugs, differential leak fix, two tie rod ends/allignment, power steering pump, air filter, rear hatch hydros, bulb in the door ($70!), fuel system flush, washer nozzle allignment, and I think that's all. I'm sitting in a dark room with the blinds down after the news. Speak softly and kindly to me please. I nod my head in an appreciative manner for you all who have began to help. All this on a 75,ooo mile car. This sounds like I own a Porsche or something.

Quick Reply: $1750 for the timing belt change @ the dealership