S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

17125 the torque converter and some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Default 17125 the torque converter and some advice

Need some advice. Got the dreaded 17125 error code (Torque Converter Clutch Circ Performance or Stuck Off) right after a strange clunk was heard while shifting hard going up a very steep hill.

Everything seems to be back to normal now, and so I'm wondering two things:

a) Does one occurence of the 17125 just once (accompanied with a clunk) indicate that the converter is toast, or could it be just a momentary problem with transmission fluid (at least at 15% grade hill, very steep)?

b) If the converter is bad, do I need to replace it right now or can it handle a gentle 600 mile drive home to the greatest audi shop I no (Wolfsport in Berkeley)? (The car is on a road trip with my girl in WA with no independent dealers around, only a crap rated (on 1.8t.org) audi dealer.

Any help you can provide would be great. I'm really trying to avoid plunking down more money on this thing right now, but don't want to pay 5K for a new tranny.

2001.5 audi s4 tip

Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Default RE: 17125 the torque converter and some advice

the converter clutch is just gona deal with the direct mechanical lockup (true 1:1 ratio and overdrive) between the engine and tranny. that thud you say may have been the clutch disengaging harshly due to load conditions when going up hill. a quick check for converter function is to drive at cruising speed around 55-65 mph constantly, then while cruising, tap the brake with your left foot and watch for the rpm's to quickly increase then stabilize. if this happens, the tcc is functioning properly (for the moment...lol). the torque converter will disengage when it sees any subsantial change in load conditions i.e. climbing a hill, a/c engagement, acceleration, application of the brakes. so, yea, it should be ok to drive.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM

oh, forgot to mention something. i have seen this code thrown more than a few times on VW's as a result of a faulty brake switch. VW's are notorious for crap brake switches (there were/are several recalls out on them) and if the switch shorts out, it will not allow the tcc to engage.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 AM

thanks for the advice. I will test it when it comes back to the bay. truly appreciate the explanation. Always wondered what the torque converter actually does.