S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

BITURBO??? quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
1st Gear
Default BITURBO??? quick question

Is this biturbo just the german twin turbo or is there a differance?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Default RE: BITURBO??? quick question

Two K03 identical turbos spooling up at the same rate with each feeding off3 of the 6 cyl.

When my spools up they go "tsssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee" I can't really tell if they have a German accent or not.

**edit***
Thanks for the correction below. I omitted the word "off" and totally screwed up the meaning of my post. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
3rd Gear

its the exact same thing

Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
1st Gear

lol!! thanks thats what i thought just some friends of mine are tryin to disagree

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Site Moderator

No... twin turbo and biturbo are different... twin turbo is sequential... one feeds into another...usually a smaller into a bigger.. . biturbo is like explained above...one turbo for each half of the engine

Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear

If it has 2 turbos it is usually called a twin turbo. However there are different twin turbo set ups.

A Paralell twin-turbo system uses 2 of the same sized turbos. It is the same as Bi-turbo. Generally these two terms can be used interchangably. Audi likes to say bi-turbo, but its no different than most twin turbo cars. Each turbo is fed by the exhaust gasses of 3 cylinders (read: turbine wheel), but both turbochargers feed ALL of the cylinders (read: compressor wheel). If each only fed 3 cylinders wouldnt there be 2 throttle bodys and no throttle body boot combining the 2 paths of charged air? Combining the charged air ensures that the presurized air in all cylinders is equal. Otherwise you could have inconsistant boost from your turbos and different cylinders would be runnign at different boost. Yeah this can happen...but not on the s4.

One turbo feeding another is called staged turbos not sequential. Thats how you get massive boost in diesel engines (100+ PSI) . Dosnt work so well with a normal engine...

Sequential turbo charging is using 2 different sized turbos NOT feeding each other. One spools quickly for power in the Mid-Lower RPM's and a larger turbo spools for more boost up top.

These are ALL twin turbo. Twin turbo just means theres 2 turbos, youc an arrange them however you want. On most production cars you probably wont EVER see staged turbos. Some cars do have sequential, but using 2 of the same sized turbos like in the s4 is more the norm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-turbo

Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

Example: Mercedes bi-turbo, or the Audi S4 2.7 bi-turbo.
What this means is that there is a turbo for each bank of cylinders, and they are located on opposite ends of the motor.

However, in a car like the Toyota Supra MKIV, that car is a twin turbo because it is an inline 6 motor, and the turbos are located next to each other. There is a small turbo that spools up to create little turbo lag, and then a larger turbo kicks in for the higher boost. So, yes parallel twin turbo is the same as Bi-turbo, but it's NOT the same as a twin turbo Supra (2JZ) or RX-7, which have sequential twin turbos.

So, in very scientific "car guy" terms, it's easier and more accurate to say Bi-turbo, than to say twin turbo and lead people into confusion. [sm=chattypair.gif]

Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear

It's a english word. Bi meaning 2, & turbo, do I have to explain that one?

Biturbo = 2 turbo's.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

Twins are identical right. So since we have two identical K03's bolted to either exhaust manifold, bi-turbo, twin turbo, it's all the same. And yes since there is a common Y-pipe in front of the throttle body that channels the air back in, they both feed all the cylinders.

Bi-turbo I guess sounds more classy than twin turbo. I like the saying "my car has a turbos".