S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

First Post- - About S4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Default First Post- - About S4 Avant

First post here- - - -

I have loved Audis since the days even before I could drive. I had originally wanted an A4 avant, but ended up going with a 1998 BMW 318ti. The ti is a very fun car, quite nimble. But it is incredibly slow. Practically any car on the road is faster than mine.

After a few years of driving this, I am ready for a new car. So my question lies here: B5 S4 Avant or BMW M3? (will decide about either E36 or E46 upon car availability). I found a nagaro blue S4/avant on ebay, with beautiful suede/leather interior. The S4 Avant is the sickest looking car ever!

My mom has a B6 A4 (1.8T), and has had numerous problems with the turbo. As a college student, I definitly need something reliable, as I will be racking up plenty of milage on the highway (frequently have to drive between Birmingham, AL- - and Wilmington, NC.)

Link to pics of my car:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...to+shoot+318ti

Thanks in advance!

-chris

Old 04-17-2005, 10:59 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: First Post- - About S4 Avant

You'll get more moddability, fun, and use out of the Avant... and that's no bias either.

BTW:
==================
Welcome to Audi Forums sc_hussey!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. It is a great site to find camaraderie with other "Audiphiles", too. I hope you find it to your liking.

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Be sure to search the archives first when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information; quite often, the answers are comprehensive. If you still need answers, feel free to ask questions in the appropriate forum.

If there is a personal problem with the site or you want to file a complaint about a particular member, then PM the Admin or any moderator. We will keep your PM confidential and respond as soon as possible. Otherwise, feel free to post public messages about the forum on the "Forum Issues" forum (found at the bottom of the main menu). It is there that we prefer you "test" your sig, too.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics in the appropriate forum.

We all welcome you and hope you find this sight informative and enjoyable.
====================

Old 04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
6th Gear

Obviously we are going to be biased toward the Audi!

Old 04-18-2005, 03:44 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Jestnomen

Obviously we are going to be biased toward the Audi!
What I was trying to imply was that the Avant has more versatility and has a wider margin for mods. The M3 is already wound up to its max right out of the factory - you can't do much more with it.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ImolaS4
The M3 is already wound up to its max right out of the factory - you can't do much more with it.
it depends on which M3 he decides on getting. the E46 is VERY high strung and will not tolerate much more, in terms of power additions without SERIOUS engine rebuilding. the E36 is much more tolerant to modifcations - however, neither of them are as readily acceptable to mods as the S4/S4 Avant. and yes, i may be biased toward Audi, but that's just calling a spade, a spade.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:24 AM
2nd Gear

I have to say I love the performance, the drivabilitity, the look and the practicality of the B5 S4 Avant...but I cannot at all recommend it in terms of reliability. I have had nothing but continual and costly problems since I bought my car. As much as I love it - I cannot ever again see myself buying another Audi product - and certainly if I wanted too i think my wife would divorce me! And Audi dealers seem to suck too - as does Audi America....

Old 04-19-2005, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Roadhawk

I have to say I love the performance, the drivabilitity, the look and the practicality of the B5 S4 Avant...but I cannot at all recommend it in terms of reliability. I have had nothing but continual and costly problems since I bought my car. As much as I love it - I cannot ever again see myself buying another Audi product - and certainly if I wanted too i think my wife would divorce me! And Audi dealers seem to suck too - as does Audi America....
Roadhawk...did you buy your S4 new? Warranty issues? I'm interested cause I just bought an b6 s4.
Thanks...

Old 04-19-2005, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

I bought it used with 19K miles on it. It supposedly was covered under warrenty except for the suspension as the car had been lowered. Before buying the car I had it checked out by Audi - with specific interest in if it was chipped (as Audi said that would void my engine warrenty - though I've since discovered that perhaps its is not so clear cut) - well they said no chip. 1 month later my clutch went out and Audi said they would not cover it because the car was chipped (well nice of them to tell me that the first time I asked them!).

My warrenty just ran out at the end of the summer and I have put around $8K into the car for repairs in the last 2 years - about $5K just this last winter. It has continually been in the shop for numerous things that Audi could never repair correctly - drivers seat loose, leak in power steering fluid (at least 6-7 warrenty repairs - including supposedly a new steering rack) - kept on leaking. Took it in again right before warrently ran out....was back 2 months later - and Audi refused to cover it....took it to a repair shop - they fixed t by tightening a bolt! Audi wanted to charge me $1500 to put in a new steering rack. I've had speaker rattles, rear hatch not latching, lights go out, MAfs fail (twice), Y boot fail (twice), this power surge problem with multi error codes forcing me to replace exhaust sesnors ($1K), much other stuff as well (soem kind of boost regulator valve) - and now I have a new chip as well. I also have had the entire suspension replaced (essentially) - though managed at least that under warrenty (the one thing Audi initially said they would not cover!). In no way can I consider this to be a reliable car - and it is decidedly uncheap to repair. Unless its a project car and you like spending excess $$$$ on it I would advise anyone to stay away. And I have only begun to get into Audi's face with this one....

Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

who did you buy the car from? sounds to me like the car was abused before it was sold. that doesn't excuse Audi for treating you like crap, but at the same time, how many people wreck cars just because "they're under warranty" and then try to ream the manufacturer.

on a sidenote, with the chip issue ... i always thought that the manufacturer had the burden of proof that the chip is a driect cause of whatever failure they're going to deny repairing.

sorry to hear about your bad experiences.